Saturday 21 December 2019

From TamsinP: Santa, Baby... (70 points)



I always try to submit an entry on the first day of the Challenge and have once again succeeded in doing so. And a very relevant one today, what with the annual winter present giving day so close. I figure that these three are out on a recce, checking which Challengers are naughty and which nice.





For painting these, I decided to try out my new wet palette from Army Painter. It works OK (although I think I might not have had the foam pad as wet as it should be) but it doesn't have a lot of space for mixing colours.



I was also using brand new Series 7 brushes. That was a bit of a pain as they aren't properly broken in yet - they'll be getting a good clean after I submit this.



The snow is a mix I made up myself - white paint, PVA, acrylic modelling paste and some white flock. This was applied to the bases, allowed to dry for a few minutes and then some more flock was sprinkled over the mix.


The figures are 28mm; the "aviator" Santa is from Artizan, the other two are from Copplestone Castings. The "aviator" will be my Prize figure.

I have also decided to start my adventures at Sander's Sand Dunes - well, they are all wearing red - so I will need to sort out some figures for the next stop on The Path Of History.

"But, but, but - Santa isn't real, and so is emphatically not historical!"


Well, go wash your mouth out with soap and water - you're definitely confirmed on the naughty list! Let us just hope that there are no children reading. As for him not being historical, Saint Nicholas was most definitely a historical figure, although his representation as a jovial, tubby, white man is admittedly not historical.

Now for the scoring:
3 x 28mm foot figure = 15 points
Prize figure = 25 points
Sander's Sand Dunes = 30 points
Total = 70 points

Now to sort out what to paint next - it won't be anything too big as I'll be heading down to family in Sussex on Monday for Christmas.


__________________________________

Haha! Lovely work on this festive trio, Tamsin. Ms. Santa is quite the vamp, but I admit that 'Flasheart Santa' cracks me up. He will be a lovely memento of Challenge Island for some lucky adventurer.

70 points it is and just enough to put you in the lead (ah, my time at the front of the pack was so fleeting). Well done Ms. P!

30 comments:

  1. I doubt there are many of us in the challenge making it onto the 'nice' list, I know I won't. :D

    A marvelous festive first entry and as historical as most armies you will see at a hobby club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start Tamsin! I for one know which of these three I'd like to visit me for X-Mas
    ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Tamsin, and so quick off the mark too!
    What a great and seasonally festive trio :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work on your scarlet clad trio!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those are nice- and seasonal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Curt - cheers! Sorry about knocking you off the top spot; if it makes you feel better, I'm sure my tenure at no.1 will be quite short-lived :)

    @ Martin C - thanks! :)

    @ Stuart L - cheers! :)

    @ Nick - thanks! Presumably the non-aviator Santa as you want that teddy bear :)

    @ Paul O'G - cheers! It helped that I had this set of three that would have pretty much the same palette :)

    @ Iain - thanks! :)

    @ Barks - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really like the self-portrait! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work Miss P. Will our airline hostess be travelling with the pilot?
    Can’t decide which one 8 like best as they are all great. Classic Santa’s sack rather scared me tho, theres some roundness in there that makes me think of the movie Eight Heads in a Dufflebag.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Tamsin and very festive in the spirit of Christmas!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great work, two Santa's, that explains why he can get so much done in one night, there are two of him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Noel RW - self portrait? But there aren't any redheads in there :o ;)

    @ Peter D - thanks! The Senior Flight Attendant refuses to fly aboard any plane flown by that chap since the incident with the wet celery... ;)

    @ Christopher S - cheers! :)

    @ Paul SS - thanks! According to me sources among the elves, she is rather demanding...oh, you mean the parcel deliveries, errmmm, well, yes, quite :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A cracking start and lovely reds to match the theme. I don't suppose you know where Mrs S gets her outfits (I'm asking for a friend...)?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great looking models - very effective snow effect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Peter A - thanks! You'd have to ask Mr Copplestone [for your friend, of course ;) ] :)

    @ James MacC - cheers! The snow did work quite nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A grand start to the Challenge Tamsin.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Dave D - thanks! :)

    @ Ray R - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a smashing set of figures 👍

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful Xmas entry. Must get my hands into some of these models too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great seasonal themed entry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Ken - thanks! :)

    @ Benito - cheers! You might need to be quick off the mark to get the Artizan one, or wait until next Christmas :)

    @ Lee - thanks! :)

    @ Adam C - cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep jingling them Tamsin, lovely figures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely shades of red, Tamsin! The snow bases are really nice too, but that red is very rich in tone. Could easily see this trio on a vintage Christmas coca-cola sign! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderfull painted figures Tamsin! Love them!
    And now I have to find and buy these before next Christmas! ;-D

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Sander - thanks! :)

    @ DavidB - cheers! The red did take a bit of work to get looking right. I might have to take some more photos under my new lighting setup to do them justice. :)

    @ Will - thanks! :)

    @ Peter - cheers! It would be a single order to buy them - Copplestone Castings sell through North Star where the "aviator" Santa is from. :)

    ReplyDelete