Monday 23 December 2019

From KenR: 3 x 28mm M13/40 Tanks (a tanking) (65 Points)


Well it's lovely to be back folks ! Merry Xmas and a happy #AHPCX ๐Ÿ‘

Last year saw me going all fancy lute playing Renaissance style with my 28mm Italian Wars Papal Army, this year I am going up to 11 with a full on headbanging Heavy Metal theme, Tanks, Tanks and when I've done them some more tanks.


So this entry is 3 x 28mm Blitzkrieg Miniatures Italian M13/40 tanks with the Command tank of the troop adorned with a Perrys Miniatures Commander. Those of you who follow Yarkshire Gamer on other social media may have seen the primer disaster I had with my first attempt (some M11/39 Tanks) they are back being resprayed whilst these boys stepped up to fill the breach of entry no 1.


The three tanks have been given a base coat of Army Painter Desert Yellow, after that I have built up some layers of shading with Vallejo Acrylics before adding some basic washes and weathering to make them looked lived in, all in all a nice steady away first entry.


Last year I had a plan and it worked pretty well ! So this year I have a plan too. I set myself the personal challenge of a unit of Cavalry a week, it was only 6 figures but it got me back to the paint table even if I was having a bad week just to get that unit done.

This time I'm going for 3 tanks a week, once those are done I will look at other stuff (I have some Italian Wars primed from last years challenge still hanging around).

So get ready for Panzers, Italians and plenty of Caunter.


Points wise it's three 28mm vehicles at 20 each with one 28mm crew figure at 5 points (I know crew figures are normally half points but this lad is literally all there !) for a total of 65 points.

Hope you have a great Xmas, personally I will be working during the holiday, but don't worry I will have a smile on my face on payday ๐Ÿ˜


___________________________

Welcome back to the Challenge, Ken! It's wonderful to see you back in the ranks.  Though I was concerned about your primer issue at the start-line I see you've recovered handsomely.

Love the pasta tanks! Your desert recipe looks bang-on and I really like the subtle weathering you gave them (and that sitting tank commander is just ace). I have a soft spot for the M13/40 as it was my first 'big boy' build (1/35 Tamiya) as a kid. I've always liked the Italian-designed vehicles of WWII, though from my reading they suffered the same malady as their sexy sports car brethren in requiring a full-time mechanic, lots of swearing and a parts depot to keep them up and running. 

65 well-earned points for you. I look forward to seeing serried ranks of AFVs roll off your table this Challenge, Ken! 

-Curt



40 comments:

  1. Good to see you back, Ken, with some great Panzers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Tamsin, it's good to be back ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  2. Loving these Ken and looking forward to more early western desert armour. This is on my bucket list but i lack the skills and patience for tank detailing, so I’ll just live vicariously through you. Your being quite generous to the Italians here, the M13/40 was a decent tank for its era IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Peter, it's not that bad for 1941 very true ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  3. Great batch of tanks; I am in awe as I baulk at vehicles somewhat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, plenty of vehicles coming up ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  4. Very nice work. Seems a lot of us have a soft spot for the M13/40.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Robert, with their armour they really did have plenty of soft spots ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  5. Good job always liked the look of this tank with its twin MG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on these beauties! Sadly the Italians don't see much love on the gaming table. So it’s even better to see three of these little beauties. Have you read 'Iron Hearts, Iron Hulls'? A very good book about the Italian tank troops in the desert war. Adresses some of that bad press surrounding the Italian war effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I haven't got that book so will check it out. The Italians get plenty of use here as we are doing an Op Compass Campaign.

      Delete
  7. Excellent work on the weathering, it adds some real character to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, weathering is something I have been playing around with recently, it definately adds to the look.

      Regards Ken

      Delete
  8. Lovely trio of tanks, good to see you sticking with Italians after last year too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain, I do love Italy, can you tell ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  9. Once again you're inspiring us, Ken. I love desert war vehicles, and look forward to you overwhelming us with an army's worth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for those kind comments ๐Ÿ‘ Plenty more coming up.

      Delete
  10. Great looking armour. Nice to see some Italians, these truly are the Alfa Romeos among tanks, aren't they? Fabulous looks, and sure to get you all the nice girls, but already rusting in the showroom... Ah well, definitely looking forward to what is to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, everyone loves a bit of Italian Styling, Alfa included ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  11. Great work Ken, looking forward to seeing you smash through this project

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work! I have an eye for Italian fish tins and have a bunch os these in my Italian desert army

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aah , lovely tankerness, look forward to your regular production

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, maybe there will be a Camel in the background.

      Delete
  14. Good to see you back Ken. Great work on the Italian tankettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate, looking forward to it and seeing what you have going this year ๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  15. That's some great looking armour Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great work on these 3 tanks. Speaking of Op Compass, have you read Barrie Pitt's 'Crucible of War'? It was the book which first sparked my interest in the Western Desert campaigns and is a cracking read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, that book has been sat in my to read box for a couple of years now, never seem to get round to reading much these days, really should.

      Delete
    2. It gets the double Peter, double ๐Ÿ‘. It’s a great read, lots of scenario ideas and put Compass on my bucket list.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Peter D, I will have to dig it out of the pile, sometimes I'm afraid to go in the reading box of shame.

      Delete
  17. Wonderful metal beauties, Ken! I love the weathering on them! I am often intimidated by painting the armor brutes myself, I have a lot of armor languishing in the mountain of neglect! You make painting them look too easy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks David, trust me it's all technique over talent !

      Delete
  18. Hi Ken - so sorry to be late with my comments, but just wanted to add to what others have already noted - these look great! I have a few armoured vehicles of my own in the painting queue for this edition of the Challenge, so I look forward to your machine-like production and focus on tanks for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Greg, better late than never mate ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete