Monday 23 December 2019

MarkB: First entry - Soviet Standard Bearer at Sander’s Sand Dune (61 Points)


Hello all,

For my first ever post on the Analogue painting challenge I thought I should start at Sanders Sand Dune. The theme is something red. What better way than with a fine Soviet banner? I got this figure from Salute in 2017 and it seemed to capture the feeling I was after really well. It is in 28mm, but her feminine petit proportions made her quite tricky to paint. I thought she should be offered as my entry fee to be donated to a worthy winner. Feel free to make a claim in the comments if you’d like her! She would make a nice command figure for Bolt Action or a jump off point for Chain of Command.


I’ve got lots of historical figures to paint along with a few sillier distractions so hopefully you should see a good variety of things coming from my posts. It’s also important that Jasper and Guy from the WSS blog don’t get too far ahead early on.

I think this should score:
5 for the 28mm figure.
25 for my entry fee figure.
30 for completing Sander’s Sand Dune.
So a total of 60 points! A bit of a cheeky way of scoring so many points but I’ll be pleased if this goes to a good home and gives somebody else pleasure!

Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s posts.
Cheers
Mark Backhouse


___________________________________

Welcome to the Painting Challenge, Mark! It's wonderful to have you with us.

Ah, I see it's another cheeky interpretation on Sander's 'Red' theme - well done! This lass can join Paul's Che to form a Challenge Collective. :) Nice and clean work, Mark. I also quite like her basework and the free-handing of the hammer and sickle on the red banner. Lovely stuff. 

If someone would like to call dibs on Mark's excellent Heroine of the Great Patriotic War just let me know in the comments or by email.

Don't feel abashed by the points nab, Mark - I did the very same with my first entrby! In fact, I'm going to give you an extra point for the banner. Yurah Stalino!

Again, welcome to the madhouse. I very much look forward to seeing what you come up with over the next three months.

-Curt

18 comments:

  1. Great rendition of the Salute figure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice painting and basing, Mark :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent first post Mark, I like her a lot. I am surprised that you didn’t save her for a balloon ride, but maybe you’re lead pile has most estrogen than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice work, though you stole my theme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great painting Mark! Welcome aboard! I'm sure flight attendant Tamsin will be around shortly to show you round.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work, especially the basing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely looking Soviet heroine!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice figure and nice basing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome to the Challenge Mark. Very fine work on this fierce Soviet lady, urging her compatriots on

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great stuff, and a very warm welcome to the AHPC, Mark. Good to have you with us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent entry, the flag is very nicely painted and the basing is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work Mark, welcome to the dunes, as I bought Che and you bought a Soviet do you want to start collectivising?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I simply love how you interpreted the "simple" idea of something RED in the Challenge Island starting point! The painting is very good Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice work, Mark! Definitely a splendid banner man..or banner -woman! Nice work on the fatigues and basing too! In your rush to pile on points you missed your ticket to ride Lady Sarah's Balloon! I hear the inflight refreshments are top tier! ;)

    ReplyDelete