Monday 23 December 2019

From PaulSS - Terrain, wildlife and livestock (40 Points)


A collection of miscellany from me today, I need to work more on my planning.

Before the challenge started I got built and primed in preparation a whole load of terrain and the last of that was painted today. Firstly, five six inch long sections of fencing that I made on tongue depressors that will come in handy for marking boundaries or denoting road edges, etc.

These were made with matchstick for the posts with split coffee stirrers for the planks. The gates are made from lolly sticks.


I also built a couple of hills, the large one is about nine inches across and two inch deep and the smaller one is about a six inch diameter an one inch deep.

I bought a hot wire cutter last month so was determined to get some use out of it. The hills look a bit of an odd colour in these photos, but blend in quite well with my usual terrain cloth.


I've not been buying figures for a few months now, but that has not stopped Victoria picking me up a few treats. Back in August we were in the UK and attended 'The Other Partizan' where Warbases furnished her with the ideal gifts for me.


The first one painted today is the stag and hind from the Red Deer set, I can see though that at some stage in the process I managed to chip some paint off of his magnificent antlers, likely will get touched up again tomorrow.

For an idea of size this pair are on a 40mm base.


She also picked up for me a splendid pair of Longhorn Cattle that will come in very useful in our games. I now have quite a lot of potentially stampeding livestock for our Sharp Practice games.


This pair are mounted on a 50mm base to give an idea of the size.


So, all in all, not a lot of output today, but between cracking on with these I did managed to prepare and make a start on some other stuff.

________________________________________

Great work Paul!  The bespoke fencing is terrific, and the longhorn cattle are very majestic, but I particularly like your vignette of the deer. That is a great set of sculpts and the paintjob on the stag is excellent. We have so many around here that it's often dangerous to go out on the highways at night for fear of hitting one (which will easily total a car at speed). 

This nice grouping will net you a tidy 40 points. Well done, Paul!

25 comments:

  1. I feel like I'm on a stroll through the countryside with this entry. Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will try to make a start on some 'real' figures soon. I really only had terrain prepared this year...

      Delete
  2. Staggering work, bound to endeer you to the community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on the terrain and beast, Paul :)

    Stampeding cattle? Through the Vatican? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Tamsin, through the Vatican you say, now there is an idea....

      Delete
  4. Great looking Terrain and fauna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking wildlife and terrain!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Curt thank you, living in Wisconsin now I'm well aware of the problem with deer on the road, I've let a few folks know that in Wisconsin Bambi's mother was not shot, she just tried to cross the I-90

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Paul, I really like the addition of animals and other day-to-day elements in games as they firmly ground it in a believable situation. Greta stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done - I do like that stag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely work Paul, I especially like the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work, Paul! I do enjoy the stage dressing for war games. Too often I put that bit off, so it's nice to others generating ideas and completing them. Once again, well done!

    ReplyDelete