Friday 24 January 2020

From GregB: MG-42 for Mudry's Mesa (55 Points)

28mm German WW2 MMG team - figures from Warlord Games.
Having enjoyed a visit to Burch's Bluffs, I wanted to move to another stop on lovely Challenge Island. The Path Of The New Shiny brings me next to Mudry's Mesa. Named in honour of one of my great gaming friends here in Winnipeg, to safely traverse the Mesa one can paint a figure purchased after the Challenge was announced.  This was great news, as I am in the midst of pursuing a project that I decided to dive into after the Challenge was announced - my 28mm Winter WW2 project. Great - I can get back to my project and clear another vista on Challenge Island!

My next destination...
Since there are all sorts of shifty characters traversing the Island, I thought the Mesa could use something helpful for defensive purposes. Here is a 28mm German tripod-mounted MG-42 team in winter gear.  They will make great use of the nice, clear, fields of fire scenic views from Mudry's Mesa. These are metal 28mm castings from Warlord Games' "Bolt Action" range.

The deadly MG-42, ready to tear out a stream of deadly fire on its opponents...
I believe the three figures on this weapon crew were meant to be crowded together on to one larger base, and I was planning to do that at the outset...but the only way to do that, it turned out, was to have the officer right in the path of what I would assume to be a stream of empty casings flying from the MG-42...that seemed wrong to me.  I also remembered that games like "Chain of Command" would, at times, have a weapon team like this under the direction of a junior leader.  So I popped the gun commander onto a separate square base I use to mark NCOs/Junior Leaders, and left the two-man team directly with the gun on the larger round base.

Lots of great detail on these castings.


Ready for action...
As with all of the other WW2 Germans I have been painting so far from Warlord's range, these are excellent figures and were lots of fun to paint. And it was great that these figures could net me another stop on Challenge Island.  As for my next destination...well, I might need to summon a Balloon ride...

Updated Challenge progress...three spots down, but I need to plot my next destination carefully...
For scoring, we have three 28mm castings, a crew served weapon and a Challenge Island location - so I think this should be good for 55 points.  Thanks for looking!


I can fully appreciate your desire to take a balloon ride - a lovely aviator, freely flowing champagne cocktails, delicious canapes, not to mention avoidance of a potential encounter with the owner of the Sandhill.

Great work on the MG42 team.

TamsinP

10 comments:

  1. Great work on this MG team Greg, very gritty looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More excellent late war winter Germans ! Seeing your figures this challenge makes me realise that I need to start late war winter Germans to oppose my winter Soviets, I mean obviously I need to do that don't I?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain - yes, starting late war winter Germans is the only sensible answer!

      Delete
  3. Fab work once again Greg! I love how this project is coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this weapons team is brilliant dude. Wise choice to base the team leader separately, besides you always need scads of NCO's for WWII Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady S looks forward to your flight booking ..... especially since I know you will have a nice chilled bottle of Prosecco 🎈🥂🎈 Up Up and Away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice work, and I like the lenses.

    ReplyDelete