Friday 24 January 2020

From JamieM - Space Marines (30 points)

Quick post for me today as my attention has, as usual, been split between a few projects meaning precious little actually being finished.... but I have managed to finish some Space Marines.



Genetically engineered super humans who aggressively defend the Imperium of Man in the 41st millenium, these chaps all hail from different Chapters (basically warrior monks in super duper armour).  It was nice to paint up a lot of different armour colours instead of the usual 5-10 men squad in the same colours.  I took a few liberties with some of the chapter heraldry as I didn't have the appropriate decals for all of them, but I'm pleased with how they turned out after I battered the decals into submission with multiple covering layers to remove the shine.


They're all from different chapters as they're part of the expansion sets for the "Space Marine Adventures: Labyrinth of the Necron" game that GW released.... but only in Barnes & Noble in the US.  Odd choice really as it's a return to their "gateway games", where you get a game in a box, really enjoy it and are then hooked on the universe and so spend thousands on figures from GW every year for the rest of your life... so you'd think they'd want the widest possible exposure, right?



It's all about the Space Marines breaking into the home of the Necrons (shiny evil robots) and shooting and knifing everything they see.  Anyway, I mainly ordered it as my son is now old enough to start playing games and instead of leaping straight into big wargames, I thought games like this would be perfect.  And it is indeed very clever and a lot of fun.  I've also finished off the figures who come with the main box, but sadly they won't count as my son did the base coats for the armour.... and then his interest in painting waned so I did the rest!


The figures do come in pre-coloured plastic, so no actual need to paint them.  The Necrons are represented by tokens, but as I happen to have a Necron army we use miniatures which really adds to the feel of the game (and of course, the numbers of the different necrons you need in the box directly correlates to one box of each that you can purchase from GW.....)


Anyway, six 28mm space marines for 30 points.


Nicely painted space marines Jamie. I must admit that painting groups of figures where each one is different does make a pleasant break from painting units where every one has the same colour scheme. 30 points well earned!

TamsinP

9 comments:

  1. Nice work Jamie! I first assumed it was some manner of "Kill Team" - I had not even heard of this boxed game. Very neat, and great that you guys have some painted minis to enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice mix of colours and chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice work on these Jamie. I like the mix of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good looking, varied bunch of space marines!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look terrific Jamie. I love the cacophony of colour of the various chapters. GW's marketing continues to stupefy me. Only available in the US via Barnes & Noble? That is so weird. So, how does the game play? Is it fun?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a new game to me, but looks awesome, I specially like your Imperial Fist devastator

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice! I hear this will be out in the UK.

    ReplyDelete