Friday 24 January 2020

From JohnM: Shieldmaidens for SAGA (30 points)

 

These figures have been on my desk for over a year, I paint "to need" now and I have not played the Viking faction in SAGA for a while so I had no need. But of course this is why the challenge exists....to clear the lead, although in this case we should say resin.

These figures are from Brother Vinni, who really has a superb line of Dark Age figures, his Viking line is largely based on the characters from the TV show The Vikings, but that is OK as they are beautifully athromorphic casts.

I painted up a Shieldmaiden unit from a fantasy line a couple of years ago, they were nice but these are much nicer, so I will suppose the old figures will go on TMP (it really is not much use for anything else).

These were primed white and painted last week in Montreal where I only had, I believe, 12 colours! I did touch them up a bit when I got back to the US and where I also finished the basing. I mostly used glazes here with minimal uses of washes to finish off the recesses. I am improving but still a long way to go. I am pretty happy with the figures aside from the faces which are a little weak.

 
 
So six 28 mm figures, finally an easy calculation-30 points. I seldom paint female figures, so I believe this submission may be put forward for Sarah's Choice, if indeed that still exists.

Unfortunately, I am still a little flummoxed by The Island and balloons and such, but I think I am on track without the extras to get my goal accomplished.


Those young ladies look suitably well-armed to accompany you as you explore Challenge Island, should you choose to do so, and very nicely painted they are too. 30 points will be winding their way to you right now!

TamsinP

10 comments:

  1. Nice work on the Sheildmaidens. I wouldn't get too hung up on the island if that's not your thing. Paint what you got, claim it as a challenge location if it fits and that's where you are and save some females to give you balloon ride fare when required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these look fabulous John. It tells you what you can achieve even when constrained by a limited colour selection.

    No worries about the Island. Like I said at the start, it's just there as a playful diversion for those who wish to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would seem that you had the exact 12 colours you needed. Great shieldmaidens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking shieldmaidens!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great figures John, I own them myself and know how nice they are to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SheildMaidens rock!
    I love these fearsome femmes for the Sarah’s Choice Award. 🎈

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work John - sorry I missed these earlier. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the unifying green and red!

    ReplyDelete