Saturday 25 January 2020

From KatrinaS: Octopus for Reidy's Reef (10 Points)

Hello everyone I'm late to the challenge but none the less going to give it my best, I hope to speed up my painting process with whats left of the challenge by catching up with all of you and your fabulous work. 

I honestly decided to start at Reidy's Reef because well my daughter loves picking out the most random minis while at various shops around town so I have a assortment of animals and her most recent pick happened to be a 28 mm (deep cut) Giant Octopus from WizK!ds. 



Never have I ever attempted to do a ocean floor base so here is my best attempt, with the addition of bleached coral.


I really enjoyed this quick warm up and for me I got him completed relatively quick maybe 5 hours over 2 evenings.




Giant Octopus 28mm= 5 pts ?
using as Prize Figure


______________________________

First, Katrina, welcome to the Challenge!

Everyone, this is KatrinaS. She found out about the Challenge through her husband who heard us mentioned in a recent WS&S podcast (thanks Guy and Jasper!). As many of you know, I usually close the gates upon last call in late November, but in the desire to have a wider representation in the Challenge I was happy to accept Katrina's request to join.

Anyway, on to Katrina's entry.

Wow!! This is absolutely beautiful work, Katrina. So much to compliment here. The colour palette, the colour gradations, the highlighting, the base-work... all of them are tremendously well done. I especially like how your ocean floor sets up the soft magenta tones of the octopus. Beautiful.

As to points, I'm going to place this as the mass equivalent as a horse and rider. So, with that 10 points added to the 30 of Reidy's Reef AND the 25 for being a prize figure will give a grand total of 65 points. A nice points haul for your first entry!

Well done Katrina, and again welcome to our merry band of brush jockeys.

-Curt

15 comments:

  1. Welcome to the madhouse Katrina! And "Yay!" I'm not alone! :)

    Glorious work on the octopus and great basing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, great octopus - your daughter has excellent taste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome along . A fine first entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome aboard. Great looking octopus, love the ocean floor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Challenge Island
    🎈Lady Sarah’s Balloon Service looks forward to flying you around the Island.🎈

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a splendid cephalopod.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome indeed and a great little entry this octopus is indeed! Did you say your town has more than one shop selling miniatures? You are spoiled then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Katrina.

    That is a wonderful piece of brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's some excellent painting skill on display here! Welcome on Challenge Island.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great purple tones you achieved and welcome!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome aboard! Lovely looking octopus!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Superb! Welcome to the Challenge, Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the Challenge Katrina! This is a fabulous undersea denizen, wonderful use of colour and basing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome! thats is a very fine piece of work.

    ReplyDelete