Saturday 25 January 2020

JohnP: Necron Immortals and Wraiths (Mudry's Mesa, 85 pts)

New year, new army is the theme of my entries thus far. I picked up some Necrons using some cash I picked up for Christmas. As a result, they're my pick for Mudry's Mesa since they're brand, spanking new! I shared Overlord Ozymandias a few weeks back. Now, he has some actual troops at his disposal: 5x Immortals (28mm warriors) and 3x Necron Wraiths (28mm cavalry/monsters). I'm trying to go for a unique look that still pays some homage to the classic Necron scheme. My "elite" troops will share Ozymandias the Resplendant's golden aegis, but the Canoptek and "lesser" troops will have a similar silver/dark green scheme that mirrors the GW standard Necron scheme. The green's a bit of my own twist (cause screw edge highlighting), and the silver has some added rust to it.

I'd love to hear what you all think! Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.





***

The plan to increase the global revenue impact of the challenge is working with Mudry's Mesa!  Nice to see... too bad I don't get a kickback from any of the companies making cash off my map space....

Great work here John!  I really like the colour scheme having something other than all metal like many necrons, it adds something to it where all metal can get a bit boring.  The green bring out some extra details and helps bring out the shape of the wraiths armour.

While I like the immortals as well, and dig the fact that you tried to add some extra details by having the silver strip up the center of the head, I wonder if added green shoulder pads to them wouldn't add something extra to them?  Not sure how it would go against the gold though, so I get why you may have left them all gold. 

I always loved the Necrons, having picked them up when they first released years ago.  It is nice to see some of the newer models for them here, especially with such great paint jobs on them.  Keep up the great work.

- ByronM

 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks guys. Byron, I actually agonized over going green on the shoulder pads for far too long. I decided against it so I could hopefully keep these short and sweet on painting time, but that hasn't proven the case so far for me lol. Thank you very much for the feedback! Maybe green shoulder pads on the next batch! Also, I just got my hands on their original codex from 3rd edition. Takes me way back to middle school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green glow is just fantastic - any tips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just really thin paints. I used Scale 75's Irati Green then Toxic Waste Green.

      Delete
  3. I think they look splendid! Suitably necrony (necroneous? necronic? necronally?), but still with a character all their own. And the Wraiths are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a brilliantly original colourscheme, awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work.

    I don't know how you have managed to give the larger pieces that 'inner glow' but however you managed the effect is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never been a fan of those soulless automatons but these look quite excellent I have to admit. The green glow is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic automated metal nightmares!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete