Tuesday 18 February 2020

By MartinN - German light mortar and observers (20 points)

Several weeks ago I was gifted a sprue of the plastic Afrika Korps by Warlord Games and while I didn't like the figures some bits still can come in handy here and there. One thing I still needed for my other wise rather complete force of Early War Germans for Chain of Command was another 50mm light mortar and luckily there was one in the DAK sprue.


Mixing the DAK parts with the Early War Grenadiers proofed a little difficult and needed some surgery with scalpel and glue. As I was at it anyway I also built me two observers/ spare crew, one of which from the plastic Soviet Infantry I quite like to use the prone Soviet figures for Germans as they (obviously) don't wear that stupid Y-Tragegestell (Y-webbing) and thus work nicely for officer types. Just needed a pair of shoulder boards, easily sculpted on with Green Stuff.


Speaking of the Y-Tragegestell, this one is another pet peeve of mine. Looking at pictures of German soldiers (especially useful in this regard are pictures of surrendering Germans, i.e. before they're being disarmed) and from stories of family members who served during the war, I came to the conclusion that they were not that often worn in actual combat, especially not when troops were fighting from prepared positions or as part of a reconnaissance.



Thus I'd personally prefer a greater selection of figures without that, admittedly iconic, piece of equipment. There you have it. Some of you might not like shooting figures, others prefer standing over prone infantry - Silly I know ;-) -, yet others foolishly go for 1/48 over 1/56 for their vehicles and I'd prefer my Germans without Y-webbing.


Three prone and a kneeling figure should add another 12.5 points towards my total, but given the -very- minor conversion work on the Soviet figure I'd happily accept 13 points.
--------
By Paul
Stunning work as always Martin! Noting the conversion work, detailing and basing I am awarding a total of 20 points for this lovely little crew

14 comments:

  1. Great conversions, great painting and basing, great rant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely conversions, excellent painting and basing!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic painting as always Nick!
    And I agree - excessive "Y-webbing" is the 1/56 scale of infantry issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work as always Nick :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant brushwork my friend. (I can make out the helmet and cap insignia: Mind. Blown.) I find your Y-webbing phobia charming, does this extend to Y-fronts as well? Perhaps I ask too much. Ray would definitely have an opinion. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are brilliant. I enjoyed the rant on the Y-Tragegestell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look excellent Nick! We all have our quirks so I agree more models without y-webbing for the discerning customer like yourself!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wasn't aware Y-webbing was so problematic! I shall pay more attention to period pictures from now on. Lovely painting and basing, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of these plastics Martin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice use of this sprue, and wonderful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing brushwork, your figures look fantastic. The map is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent figures and an interesting point on the webbing!

    ReplyDelete