Friday 21 February 2020

From NoelW: A spell of discomfort: Fran’s Fjord (30 points)


Luckily, the rocks we land on are blunter than most. However, I stumble in dismounting from the basket and land on my head, jarring me awkwardly.

Fjordtunately it seems to have no effect. We watch the balloon sail effjordlessly away with Lady Sarah but we can’t affjord to waste time, as we’re anxious to get on our way homewards. We’ve been on this wretched island more than a fjordnight, and despite our best effjords it’s beginning to nibble away our fjorditude.

What do you mean, concussion? I’m perfectly comfjordable. I had an unfjordunate bump but that’s just one of the misfjordunes of balloon travel. Hencefjordth, please mind your own business! Let us hasten from this confusing place to the comfjords of the fjordification on Bromley’s Butte, fjordthwith!

---

Today, to satisfy Fran’s very particular demands, I’ve two submissions: one a 15mm sci-fi and the other for 15mm Imagi-nations.

Firstly, there are 12 more xenomorphs, incipient nasties to join the fully fledged aliens I submitted last time I was here.



Secondly, for my third vignette, I’ve Napoleon on a camel. My current Imagination/alternate history idea is Napoleon’s invasion of India, following on from his invasion of Egypt. There’s a problem with this. In 1798 his troops wore the uniforms of the revolution. In 1801, fighting the British in Egypt, they wore the remarkable uniforms of the Kleber regulations (anyone fancy a Frenchman in a pink uniform?) But what would they be wearing by the time they reached India in, say, 1803 or later?

Moreover, as I want to fight the whole campaign, from 1798 to around 1805, how many different versions of the French army will I need?

I couldn’t make my mind up. I love the Perry figures (28mm) for the 1801 period, but I’ve some 15mm figures (mainly Minifigs) for the revolutionary period, as well as Ottoman and Indian troops in 15mm primarily intended for the SYW. It’s a mess, obviously. Not helped by the fact that I stumbled across Lancashire Games 18mm figures for the period which included this Napoleon. 




I know Napoleon was short of stature, but I’d really love this figure to be at least 28mm. So my current plan is to fight the invasion of Egypt in 15mm, then the 1801 period in 28mm, then assume that the British are defeated in 1801 and the French army is then resupplied from the home country, so I can conduct the invasion of India in 15mm using the revolutionary figures. At which point this model will be at their head.


Scoring: 12 x 15mm aliens, 1 x 15mm arab, 1 x 15mm rider: 30 points



And Noel continues to retrace his steps around Challenge Island in style. Nice work mate!

TamsinP



7 comments:

  1. Lovely aliens and Napoleon on the camel is ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice but this return trip bonkers

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fjordunately" seriously Noel?! Anyway, apart from the simply gorgeous figures I noticed a distinct lack of epileptic seazure due to a distinct lack of epilepsy inducing Map of Noel's insane Journey on Challenge Island :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. The word abuse police may be on your case Noel. And you’re nuts for planning three related campaigns in three different scales.
    Bu I love the snappy figure and it’s highly entertaining lunacy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff, I do like Napoleon on his camel. He did have the hump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🎈The Balloon Service is not responsible for any actual or perceived injuries caused by “word abuse”, puns or general silliness while aboard Lady Sarah’s Balloon.🎈
    Carry on, and drink more 🥂🍷🍹

    ReplyDelete