Saturday 1 February 2020

From PhilH: Millsy’s Millpond, Prizegeld for DavidB (60 Points)

My second Island location continues down the Path of History to Millsy’s Millpond. Millsy demands a model from before 2000.

I was fortunate that my parents moved house last year, and dumped returned an ancient and long forgotten ‘bitz box’ from my teens. Chock full of 1990s GW, including loads of spares from plastics and leftover junk from conversions, and some treasure too.

Classic GW ahoy! 
(If anyone can spot anything that they want, its mostly on its way to less neglectful homes via eBay, so give me a shout and we can work something out)

From here came inspiration for my Prizegeld, for a Challenger who’s painted a whole Waaaaargh!-worth of GW Orks in the past: the ever-enthusiastic and industrious David Bromley.

The box contained my old GorkaMorka trukks and minis and some 3rd edition plastic Orks. I liked David’s Bad Moon-funded Blood Axes in Challenge VIII  post, so picked out a suitable mini. It was from when I started a unit of Blood Axe commandos, not long after GorkaMorka was released in the late 1990s.


It’s a Boy with a converted Big Shoota (looks a bit MG34 to me, even) and helmet complete with big Teef. I tried to match David’s colour scheme (though I’ve no Goblin Green for his skin..) and left the basing so David can match him to the rest of his collection.




One Ork might be a small contribution to your impressive Waaaaaaaaaargh! David, but I hope you like him.

Points: 4 basic (for not being based), plus 30 for a visit to the Millpond, plus 25 for Prizegeld, for 59.

My Challenge Journey
***
While one ork may be small by itself, a WAAAAAAARGH starts with just one and grows!

Great work on this old figure Phil, I remember them well from the Gorkamorka game, and thankfully you did not use the retarded bases that came with that game.... wow were they horrible!  For anyone who has never seen them, the were small ovals 25mm x 10mm (ish)...  they never kept anything standing upright for more than 10-15 seconds.

Despite not having the Goblin green for the flesh, it looks pretty close to the right shade.  The yellow is awesome too, such a painful colour to work with.  I am sure David will enjoy the addition to his force.  Oh, and I am not deducting the point for not being based, as it is pretty common to leave gifted figure unbased so people can match them.  I see no reason to take a point away.

-ByronM

19 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. What a great trip down memory lane that Bitz Box must have given you and it's wonderful that you're gifting David with one of these venerable minis - I'm sure he'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah yeah it’s been a fun winter project of sorting before the move. And nicely topping up the PayPal account to reinvest in more unpainted minis, hah.

      Delete
  2. Nice work on the Boy, Phil :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to see those old skool boys get some TLC! If those Necromunda pitslaves (or any other Necromunda) stuff is still available I am interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sander, the pitslaves went on eBay the other week.

      I’ve some Delaque about. I was going to convert them to a genestealer cult, back before they actually had models :-D Drop me an email if you fancy.

      Delete
    2. Hoi thanks for the heads up, sadly Delaque is one of the few gangs that doesn't really work for me thanks for the offer anyway!

      Delete
    3. No worries Sander, I do ha be a soft spot for the Delaque, both old and new, so they may get kept anyway

      Delete
  4. Nice work on this old skull figure. Have fun with that bits box before it hits eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah tonnes of nostalgia in there. And this is the junk box!

      Delete
  5. Great looking boy! Splendid bonus bitz box !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. smashing job and what a find that bitz box is! My mum gave almost all of my early figures that I left in the loft away whilst I was at university :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah man that sucks. I lost a lot of mine five years or so ago, so this was a nice nostalgic hit.

      Delete
  7. A Bitz Box find! Glorious. Great brush work.

    ReplyDelete