Saturday 1 February 2020

Mark B’s - 1/300 Islands (50 Points)

Hi all,
The campaign continues over the island to O’Grady’s Gulch.
I am preparing for a Lard Day I am organising in Southampton next month called ‘Come and have a go if you think you’re LARD enough!’ There are 16 games in it and one of them is a 1/300 Kiss Me Hardy game based around a Danish archipelago with smaller brigs and gunboats. My mate Bob has a very nice sea mat but no islands - so I offered to make him some. I might add some more if I get the time? The islands are off cuts of MDF with insulation foam on them. I’ve then covered them in PVA glue and sharp sand. This was then painted brown and dry brushed along the coastal bits and a darker green on the central areas. It was then all dry brushed with shades of cream. Various scatter materials have then been glued on plus 1/300 home made trees made from florists wire and clump foliage.


At the end I sealed them in with scenic spray. I hope Bob likes them when he gives the scenario a playtest next week. Annoyingly I won’t get to play the game as I have a parents evening! Size wise these don’t really fit a cube shape. Width and length wise they are a total of 18 x 12” roughly but are fairly low - only an inch or so because of the 1/300 trees. So I’ll only claim 15 points for them.

Islands = 15 points
Completing O’Grady’s Gulch = 30 points
Grand total = 45 points
I think I might need to wet the brushes and go for a balloon ride next?😜

***
Hello Mark, as a terrain guy myself I have a great appreciation for having nice terrain on the table.  These islands look awesome and will surely make the game a whole lot better.  While they are technically small I can see the effort that went into scratch building these and am going to round it up to 20 points for them.  

Keep up the great work!

- ByronM

7 comments:

  1. Great looking islands!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome looking island chain Mark. I hope that your friend’s game goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those will make a very nice archipelago Mark. Here's hoping your parents evening will go quickly and you can nip out to see how the game went. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 🎈Oh Yay! A new passenger for the Balloon Service! Looking forward to whisking you up, up and away to your next spot on Challenge Island🎈

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be good to see in-game shots!

    ReplyDelete