Saturday 1 February 2020

From TomG: The South Rises (85 Points)

I have finally returned, and with more Confederates in tow. Following on from my Officers I bring you the final leader for my Sharp Practice force, along with the first two groups of infantry, ready to defend their home land and way of life, albeit one that is anathema to modern sensibilities, and rightly so.

With that foot-in-mouth skirting if issues far larger than I have a right to comment on, I bring your the limited edition Officer figure from the Perry Miniatures American Civil War Battle Box, and what an officer he is. With his head bandaged, and his sword held aloft, he is a striking figure in the battlefield. 

Sergeant Farley narrowly missed his appointment with Death, but hailing from the South he stands defiant, leading his men with tenacity and valour.

As my games are likely to take place all over the ACW period, I went for a mixed uniform for Sergeant Farley, allowing the idea of new pants being from the butternut range of uniforms to imply the desperate position men in campaign found themselves in. 


I tried to keep the details fairly simple for Sergeant Farley, he's a working man ready to be there for his men, but he's no hero, all the heroes are already dead. 

Following him are the men of the South, and here we have a lucky few still sporting grey uniforms, however the rigours of fighting men has seen some equipment being replaced. These figures are from the Wargames Foundry range, and what a joy they were to paint. 


I tried to keep the uniform, well, uniformed, but took the bed rolls as an opportunity to add a bit of flavour to the men. 


However the Confederacy quickly felt the pinch of economic disruption, but men flocked to the banners. These men picked up what uniform was available, or supplemented it with what fitted and worked, so with this in mind the next group gave me the chance to really dive in to the box of colours.


One chap was deliberately given the light blue pants of a Yank, if nothing else but to break the monotony of grey and butternut, however my father-in-law always loves to tell me how his 6mm Confederates have the occasional Union clothes thrown in. 

And what a joy it has been getting started in to a period that I've been fascinated by for years, from across the pond, and yet still finding enthusiasts so open and willing to share information. With 3 more groups of 8 infantry to go, along with one group of skirmishers expect more to come soon, but for now here is a family photo of the beginning, but not the end!

Points - 17 x 28mm minis = 85 points

Next up is my return to Challenge Island with a Feat of Arms... see you soon!

***
These are some great looking figures Tom, I especially like the unit that is in random clothing as it shows off the figures a bit more.  Uniforms are as you say, a bit uniform, and that doesn't always allow the figures to shine individually.   That said, both units look great.

It was nice seeing several units from the civil war all in one day, as it is a time period that we do not game with here.  No one in the area that I know of has any forces for the period, but it certainly was an interesting period to recreate.

- ByronM

9 comments: