Saturday 7 March 2020

Burch's Bluffs from PeteF: Post Apocalypse Family Vignette (45 points)



Striding out along the path of the New Shiny I come to the imposing Burch's Bluffs. But the Evil Empire of GW is anathema to me - I cancelled my subscription to White Dwarf when the whole enterprise went over to Warhammer. What minis in my collection could fit the  Horus Heresy?





The giant civil war in question raged across many worlds as the rival genetically engineered factions duked it out. Often forgotten in such conflicts are the civilians, left to scratch out a living on the ruined remains of their once prosperous home planets. The Space Marines have moved on to create yet more destruction elsewhere. Here is one of the many post apolcalypse families they have left in their wake.

Bullet Proof Vest and Gasmask


And self defense... even in one so young


The minis are from a Fantasy Games Unlimited kickstarter that I supported last year. They are modelled on the cover art of their post apocalypse RPG: Aftermath. The company is decidedly old school - I don't have the Aftermath rules but the minis reminded me of Gamma World, which I enjoyed in my teens. I also have a soft spot for post apocalyptic fiction (from Earth Abides to Wool, from When Worlds Collide to The Stand) and one day might find a related skirmish game. In the meantime, some of my friends are starting to play Star Breach and these miniatures should fit right in.





The sculpts are really good with a lot of nice detail. The kickstarter backers got the resin base thrown in - and this is fun too with lots things to paint - including flowers, critters and a skull.





16 locations visited - 3 to go.



The minis are worth 13 points and the new location 30 - not sure how to score the base. As a terrain piece it's not very big - maybe a couple of points for a total of 45?


***
What a great little vignette Pete!  The miniatures are so full of character as well, wonderful submission.  The pattern on the dress would have confounded me, so great job on that at well!  You are right they have a very old school look and feel to them, and remind me of something that would fit right into the world of Fallout.

-ByronM




7 comments:

  1. Great work Pete. Funny, when I first skimmed over your post I thought, 'Gee, those remind me of Gamma World...' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely vignette and my first thoughts on seeing them was how they were like gamma world! Good choice for the location!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work on this post nuclear family.

    ReplyDelete