Sunday 15 March 2020

From Bill A - The King in Yellow arrives in O'Grady's Gulch (37 points)

I had struggled quite a bit with O'Grady's Gulch, trying to find the right figure and the right person to gift it to.  When I pulled this figure (Reaper's "Crimson Herald," produced in Bones as part of the Bones 4 Kickstarter) I knew what to do with it instantly.  I'm not the first to see parallels between this figure and the mysterious, robed "King in Yellow" of the Cthulhu Mythos, but I'm quite pleased with how mine came out.


I'll be shortly sending him along to Oscar Rios, an author and publisher of scenarios and supplements for the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game.  Over the past few years, Oscar has taken me under his wing and taught me a great deal about writing for publication in the RPG industry, and has helped me enter the field for myself as I've transitioned from Oscar's apprentice to his colleague.  Appropriately, Oscar himself entered the field with a scenario relating to the King in Yellow.


He's 28mm scale, but 40mm-ish tall, and I've affixed him to a 40mm round base.  I kept him very simple, with a solid yellow robe, black-green skin with a minimum of highlighting, and only a little freehand, to draw the ominous and sinuous "Yellow Sign" into his book.  I'm thinking he should work out to 35 points?

MilesR:  Ahh maybe a bit more points wise 'cause he's a large lad - and scares me a bit - lets rate him as a 40mm!

6 comments:

  1. I like anything that scares Miles! Well done and a fitting tribute for your mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks great, a lovely finish on always difficult yellow!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work Bill. The Yellow Sign have been 'randomly' selected in all our recent Cthulhu Wars games. Plenty of desecration going on there since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The yellow really stands out Bill, nice one!

    ReplyDelete