Monday 23 March 2020

From MilesR: Challenge X a Retrospective

Here's what I did done paint for Challenge X.  To be honest, I've got mixed emotions about my output as it did fall short of my "secret" goal but still was a sizable contribution at 3,475 points and just above my public target of 3,000.


 For some strange reason, Curt demands we include a picture of ourselves in these posts, and I am complying with this grand image of "Serious Miles" resplendent in my Quarantine ensemble of sweat shirt and maybe sweat pants - who knows what I'm actually wearing under the sweat shirt.
Given the level of real world interferences this photo, entitled "Flummoxed Miles" is likely a more accurate representation.  This winter has been a difficult time as I had to take off most of February to care for my son who has a chronic medical condition and then there was this little virus thingy in late Feb/March.  I am deeply grateful to my fellow minions for taking up the slack as I shirked my duties a bit.  On a much more positive note, Sean is doing much better and has found a job that he likes as a Data Scientist for a healthcare company.  As for the coronavirus, where all in the middle of that fight and while I've mastered conducting board meeting while painting via a foot controlled mute pedal.  Peter D has seen me do something similar while driving and well, it isn't pretty (board meeting not painting while driving).  I'm an investor in early stage companies and I expect at least 30% of my portfolio to go belly up over the next few months.  Others will do well but that's part of the investing game.  We will survive this economic pause but it will be painful.  I'll probably do a few posts on my blog about the crisis and stop taking up valuable real estate here.

How about some close ups of what I painted?  First up is my Arab Conquest Army from West Wind.  There is a similarly sized unpainted Early Byzantine Army (also from West Wind).  Yarmuk, anyone?
Past Challenges for me have been dominated by 28mm figures but that didn't happen this year.  I did paint up some WW1 related items German Sailors, BEF and a Mark IV tank but that was it.  28MM just accounted for 19% of this years point totals.
I do like how the tank came out.


The biggest category this year was 15mm Napoleonics where I filled out the ranks I need to run my fictional NOLA campaign - Napoleon invades the US.  The campaign has been a blast and is currently in turn 9 of 12 and the there is a second large battle to be had.  For obvious reasons the campaign has been suspended.  Actually, a few of the troops painted this year are missing as they're involved in the upcoming fight and are in the wooden boxes you can see at the end of the table in the first few photos.

Also pictured are the 6 Russian battleships that were part of my contribution for the Battle Of Tsushima project.

Another shot of the Nappies.  There are US, Austrian and Russian troops.

A last minute addition is going to be fun new project - the Russo-Japanese War in 6mm.  I'm really looking forward to getting these troops on the table.


The item I am most proud of this Challenge is the Jungle Terrain, which I think came out wonderfully.  I know that a little self congratulatory.
I cant wait to use these in a game and may stage an online game as it will be awhile before my club reconvenes.
Curt's refurbished jungle terrain.
Some arbitrary close ups
I've got some left over materials and will likely make up a few more stands. 




My total Points distribution was:

 Challenge X Points Distribution: 
 Points Percent
 15mm Napoleonics           1,02830%
 15mm Ancients              75822%
 Russo-Japanese War              52515%
 28MM WW1              49014%
 Terrain              42512%
 28mm Fantasy              1655%
 30 Yrs War                842%
   Total           3,475100%

Thanks again for a wonderful Challenge experience.

Be safe

Miles

19 comments:

  1. That's certainly a very full table - despite interruptions you have had a very productive Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful output, as always, Miles. I'm especially impressed by your Naps productivity - wish I could emulate, but all those white straps bore me silly (sillier, I guess).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those straps are a killer. Gotta love Austrians - white uniforms and white straps!

      Delete
  3. Glad Sean getting better and has a gig. Grateful output and see you in quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still a substantial output despite everything,the jungle terrain both new and refurbished was awesome!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. An Herculean output there. Quite impressed with your productivity and high quaility standards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Miles! Your stuff this Challenge was fantastic. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your output puts many of us to shame, well done. The jungle terrain is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great effort Miles. Love the jungle terrain, I must have missed that when you posted all that green lovelyness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic quality output, and the jungle makes me, well, green with envy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. as always, the grand master showed a high level of his skill and gave us an example of how to engage in a hobby. thank you very much

    ReplyDelete
  11. Impressive output as always Miles

    Stay well and I hope business bounces back once this nonsense is over

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful assortment of figures and terrain Miles. I'm delighted your group is having a good time with your alternative Napoleonic history, though I'm not surprised with you being such a good host/gamesmaster. AND those jungles are simply superb.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The campaign's been fun - there's a running series of battles between and allied army made of a british corps commanded by Packenham and and US one command by W Scott. They're being pursued across the Alabama wilderness by Davout, Soult and a single division from Lannes Corps. Crazy, silly fun. All VERY historically proper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love me a bit of terrain - it's a jungle out there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yet again I am in awe of you Miles! Not just because your obvious enormous knowledge of the Lore of Numbers, not just because the marvellous figures and terrain you've finished but also because of the many expressions you are able to conjure up upon your face, downright awesome see you in the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A past career as a carnival barker has left with me with the skills to make funny faces and abilities to employ exacerbated hyperbole. I am truly blessed

      Delete