Monday 23 March 2020

From Barks: The group shot

Whew! Glad the manic rush has finished but sad to see it over.

Any ‘strategy’ went out the window fairly early as I adjusted to the Island concept. I wasn’t sure what fiendish task the Snowlord would set for me, so I rushed up to the peak. I was forced to confront my self-imposed nightmare of samurai, but truly bit the bullet and went all in with as many units as I could handle.


While grinding my way through cavalry, I got the taste for the island locations and dug out odd miniatures that would satisfy the various requirements. I was really chuffed to complete the entire island! About 500 points are just from island bonuses...


At the same time, I was thoroughly trounced in the Skully McSkullface side duel- and I’d do it again!

Particular accomplishments I’m happy with include:
  • Samurai
  • Pinkstone Fortress 
  • Sauron vignette
  • Painting a few odd figures that have been hanging around for years: assassins, Indy, drunken pirate, zombie Napoleon, etc.
My regret is not getting a group photo of the Aussie bloggers at CanCon, when all we were facing down was merely the blazing first apocalypse of 2020.

Nikko, Japan

See you at QC2020!

20 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff Barks. It's been great having you join us again. Shame about the skull-o-meter side duel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, Tamsin. It was a valuable lesson about not taking on the duels wallah at his own game!

      Delete
  2. Loads of fantastic figures! The samurai were excellent but I also really liked the chaos marines and the Blackstone fortress stuff!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant challenge from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin, it was very enjoyable as always.

      Delete
  4. it was a great job. I have noted a lot for myself, especially in working with elements of the area. thank you very much for your work

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was wonderful having you with us again Barks. I always enjoy your entries as they are very creative, colourful and funny. It was great to see more from Pinkstone Fortress and your Sauron vignette was tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be here! I’ve wanted to do a Sauron vignette ever since I got the figures over ten years ago. The Challenge really gives me a valuable nudge and support towards getting things done, so thank you.

      Delete
  6. I especially loved the samurai, but everything you did was eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great output Barks, love your sense of wackiness! More skulls please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Peter! I try, I try.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant work throughout the Challenge Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Barks, that is a terrific output. Has the Skull-O-Meter overheated and blown a gasket yet?
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’s very happy, there’s a big grin on its face!

      Delete
  10. Excellent entries again this year Barks, I do enjoy your style of writing a lot so on to the next Challenge!

    ReplyDelete