Thursday 5 March 2020

From a PhilH: Viva la Republica at Benito’s Brook (77 points )

Continuing down the Path of History, we come to Benito’s Brook, which is looking for heroism in a brave feat of arms.

My Spanish Civil War project has been a major project for this past year, and I’ve been rounding out my Republican forces to host a game at the ‘Winter Wonder Lard’ TFL games day in Bristol.

Motley group to round  out the platoon 
And how does this relate to a Benito’s task? Well the SCW is characterised by ordinary folk facing down the Nationalist’s trained and experienced Legionaries and Moorish troops. Be they the people’s militias taking up arms to defend their freedoms and democracy, or the volunteers of the International Brigades, making long journeys to face down fascism.

Riflement destined for the militia and IB LMG team
And in spite of the scheming and mistrust between their political leaders and commanders, they achieved great feats of heroism: halting Franco at Madrid, holding at Jarama and so forth.

35 Division standard

Warrant Officer
Demolition team, from North Star


Also sneaking into this entry, shortly before WWL I noticed I’d be short a Nationalist officer if the players took a certain combination of support choices. Thankfully I had one prepped, so turned him around in short order. On the day, not needed!




Nine 28mm models plus the location bonus adds 75 points to my tally. 

The journey so far, a rapid tour around the island to come! 


Excellent work on these defenders of freedom. With a standout standard to boot.

Martin

22 comments:

  1. These look great - so much character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work as always Phil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab work Phil, big fan of your SCW figure.
    A period in history that I have much stuff for of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. It’s a fascinating period, and I’m a bit contrary to game it over WWII :-)

      Delete
  4. Those are awesome Phil. Great flag too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mighty flag, so colourful. Cheers

      Delete
  5. Absolutely lovely brushwork on these Republicans, Phil. (I need to get that demo team for my collection.)

    No Pasaran!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they’re great, I got them for For Whom the Bell Tolls-like demolition scenarios. While not in uniform, they’re a decent fit with Empress. The third in the pack has a sten so went in the bitz box.

      Delete
  6. Super looking Republicans! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice indeed, the flag is ace and the faces are very expressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really very good. Love the five-o-clock shadow on the demolition team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, sappers are always a bit scruffy, right?

      I tried Contrast as a glaze to do those but it went on a bit heavy for my liking.

      Delete
  9. That's a great set of figures!

    ReplyDelete