Thursday 5 March 2020

From NoelW: Hold Your Horses: Hawkin’s Hill: (25 points)



We scramble down the hill as quickly as we can, pleased to have escaped O’Grady’s Diner with no more than one casualty. That’s a pretty good result for us.

There’s the sound of horses ahead, and we see a battered old shed, or possibly the offcuts from a woodcutters’ jumble sale, where a couple of horses are hitched. A man in a hat is grooming one of them affectionately.

“Hello,” I say. “I wonder, can you tell us the way to Cook’s Crevasse from here?”

The man moves his mouth, but no sound emerges. Still combing the horse’s mane, he gestures to his throat with his other hand.

“I think,” says my recently elevated sergeant, “he’s feeling a little hoarse”.

I pick up one of the planks piled against the shed and berate him gently with its heavier end.

“I know you like your jokes to relieve the tedium, my dear recently elevated sergeant, but if you're not careful, you're going to feel a lot more than a little bored.”

Everyone laughed when I told them I was going to be a comedian.

They’re not laughing now.

---

Just a small offering today. 

My Cape Wars collection began several years ago. The Xhosa were well developed in about a year, but the Brits have languished in the way of most wargaming enthusiasms. However, the Challenge challenges me, so I've already previously posted a unit of Cape Rifles, who were basically mounted infantry, so they needed troopers to look after the horses. One of these horseholders is painted in an approximation of their uniform, the other more neutrally dressed as a Boer. However, both could easily be used in several different contexts. Figures are Perrys, of course.




Score: 28mm: 2 horseholders, 3 horses: 25 points

Cool stuff. I do like little wars, esp in Africa. 

Martin

8 comments:

  1. Great work on these Noel, I particularly like the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice minis. The Perry's do make some very tempting figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking horse holders and useful in a lot of other places too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another visitor! Don’t mind the tank tracks, they made a right mess.

    Nice donkey walloped here Noel, fine colours on the horses.

    ReplyDelete