Thursday 12 March 2020

From SanderS: Gloomhaven at O' Grady's Gulch (75pts)

Hoi,

Yeah I know: how did I paint so many figures so fast?! Truth be told: I didn't, these figures I finished shortly after painting the Crisis Protocol figures early on in the Challenge but kept for this particular location.



My oldest gaming buddy in town Mark has bought the huge Gloomhaven game together with some other people. If you haven't heard of this game it is an immensely immersive dungencrawler with a enormous amount of background and depth to it. The box and it's contents are very high quality and make for an enticing story. The players fight, puzzle and talk themselves through the campaign and while doing so "play new characters free". The characters come as a miniature with it's own cards, abilities and spells. Mark decided to keep all the figures in their respective boxes and not have a peak up front.

So I painted the starting figures for them to play with along with some 3d printed terrain before the Challenge's start.


A while further on, one of the other guys of their gaming group came over and asked if I could paint up the remaining figures as a surprise for Mark as well. So when he'd open up the little box for a newly released figure, it would be already painted. I have no idea what characters or function they're supposed to be so sorry for that.

So I set to work.























Now I said all game content was high quality right? Yeah well there's one exception: the figures! They are basically made in the cheap warping plastic also used for the first Reaper Bones series and I do not like them. The poses are strange and the level of detail and the crispness of the sculpts is horrible. That said they do look rather nice when done even saying so myself.

That's 45 points for 9 figures in 28mm and 30 for the Gulch bonus ergo 75 points for the tally.

On to Benito's Brook we go!

So the figures are weird but interesting and the paint job is fab, Hope Mark loves them

Martin

5 comments:

  1. Even if the figures have rubbish texture, you've done a lovely job of painting them!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice figures and painting Sander. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Sander - what a neat idea for a surprise, to open the box and find everything painted. That's a nice touch! Great stuff - despite the quality of the plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Sander, I hope your mate likes them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fascinating look into the boxes!

    ReplyDelete