Monday 21 December 2020

From ByronM - Hall of Traps Submission

 Once again winter is here, and with it, the annual painting challenge!  As with everyone else around here, I have been trying madly to assemble and prime figures to get ready for the challenge, however I have had both work and video games distracting me, so I have less than half of what I wanted prepped ready for the challenge.

Once piece though that was ready was something I picked up from a patreon that I immediately fell in love with and had to have.  It is from Great Grimoire and supplies monthly fairy tale themed STL files for 3d printing at home, and this was from a few months ago and I have been itching to get to work on it.

When the map was revealed, I knew that I could use this figure for several of the rooms, but chose to get it done right off the bat, so am using it as my submission for the Hall of Traps, to get started on my adventure through the chambers of challenge.  I am also using this figure as the yearly gift to my wife Kim.  Normally it is a steampunk style figure of some kind, but when she saw this figure online she fell in love with it as well, so two birds with one stone!
I painted this up with what is in real life a brighter green glow (but it kept getting washed out in the images) to show as an eerie eldritch magic allowing the hands to come through the cabinet. While I had planned on having the green glow reflect onto the floor and the girls back, the figure is for my wife, and she didn't want it "ruined", so I left it out.

The girl was very tiny when printed the first time (as was the cabinet) with the base being less than 40mm.  At that scale it was correct for 28mm, but just seemed too small, so I reprinted it scaled up to a 55mm base, so the girl is actually 30mm tall just to get enough size to deal with the details that were there, since it is not for any game, and just for a display piece, scaling up really didn't affect anything.

It is amazing how many great Patreons and Kickstarters there have been for STL files over the last year, so this is the first of many 3d prints that I will be painting up this year.

With all that over, I have finished my traditional day 1 figure, so will be back in a few days with more.


31 comments:

  1. Oh, this is fantastic Byron. Love it. I really like the muted tones of the background/armoire as it makes the little girl stand out. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, and yeah that was the idea, to really make her different than the background. I still think it would look better with the green glowing out onto her back and the floor (with it coming forward to the edge of the base but leaving the shadow of her legs showing bare wood) BUT the boss spoke and killed that idea... and since it is for her, I kinda had to listen (for once).

      Delete
  2. Wonderful piece Byron. I
    Can’t decide if the creatures are threatening the girl or being controlled by her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Outstanding model but the painting work is superb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito, it was a lot of fun to paint. Which seems to oddly be the case for many non-purpose (non game) figures.... not sure why

      Delete
  4. Outstanding painting - very impressed

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fantastic and atmospheric figure and very well painted! A great gift surely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work Byron! That's a excellent albeit a creepy sculpt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, the blue and white on the girl contrasts nicely with the cabinet and spectral hands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the grim -dark Alice in Wonderland vibe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I thought you might like this piece.

      Delete
  9. A beautiful nightmare, Byron! I really envy you the printer (I have enough difficulty with 2D printers - yearn for the old simplicities of the dot matrix).
    Really looking forward to seeing more entries like this. First class painting effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel. The printers are at a point now that almost everyone can use one. They are still a bit finicky at times, but most of the time they just work. And the pay off for the times you do have to fuss with it are worth it.

      Delete
  10. Very nice Byron in particular the green hue on the grasping arms looks particularly earie.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece, and loving that its all printed as well! So a real creation! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic work Byron...and a rather chilling scene...even the stuffed rabbit seems ominous...well done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that looks amazing as always Byron. Have to check out that patreon

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is superb, has anyone won the Challengers Choice on the first day ?

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the very kind words Ken, but if anyone did the best paint job on day one it was Martin. His paint job is amazing and silky smooth.

      Delete
  15. Super creepy and super painting! Lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  16. Byron, that is both horrific and fantastic, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THis is very creepy, closing all wardrobe doors tonight before bed. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice paint job Byron! The 3D print came out fantastic as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow, that is incredible.

    I actually prefer the work on the armoire over the girl or the eldrich horrors. You did a smash-up job getting ir to look like wood varnish. Care to share the paint recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Robert, I honestly don't exactly know... I have a pile of various vallejo browns and just applied a bunch of them randomly over the armoire in thin glazes. I then washed it with agrax earthshade, which is kinda like my Franks Red Hot sauce, in that I put that shit on everything!

      Delete