Monday 21 December 2020

From PaulSS: French Officers for the Hundred Days campaign (20pts)

I've really been looking forwards to this years challenge and have spent the past few days in preparation, even clearing off the painting table for the first time in several years.

My first entry for Challenge XI is a small group of Napoleonic Frenchmen for the ongoing Hundred Days project that's been my main painting focus this year.

All three figures done today are from Perry Miniatures, the two on foot from the Line Infantry Officers advancing set and the one on horseback from the Mounted ADC’s pack.

The two chaps on foot are really well executed and have bags of character, I'll be using them as commanders in my skirmish games or as disorder markers in the big-battle games I have planned.

The mounted chap is rather a horrendous miscast, the mold has slipped quite badly and his face is rather ill formed, but he'll merge in with the rest of the figures in the collection on the tabletop. 

I was so excited for this years challenge I booked today off work to make an impact on the planned entries. My painting style does not really work for a one day turn-around cycle, so only the three above were completed. But, I made great progress on other stuff, blocking in the basecoats on ten horses for a unit of Anglo-allied light dragoons, base-coating and washing a French command stand, plus quite a few other figures with a start made on them.

I think that one mounted and two foot 28mm figures should net me 20 points kickstarting my tally for both the challenge and the 28mm Napoleonics duel.

Really looking forwards to seeing everybody's entries over the next three months.

40 comments:

  1. Great looking command figures Paul. Looking forward to your work this Challenge. Will your lovely wife’s work be featured here as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I'm not sure, she has a load of Star Wars: Legion to paint so you never know.

      Delete
  2. A great opening volley Paul! Too bad about the miscast cavalry figure, but your brushwork made a silk purse here. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great entry, I am daubing on a few Napoleonics myself, it is very encouraging to have something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LMK if you hit any blocks and I'll try to help

      Delete
  4. You can never have enough French. Excellent painting work

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking figures. I've experienced similar issues with some of the older Perry metals. Still fantastic figures but some of the molds may be nearing their end date. Still despite the casting issue the mounted figure looks superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mile, yes, I'm inclined to agree. Great figures rather spoiled at times by some shoddy mold cutting.

      Delete
  6. Great figures and some very nice painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice work on all of those officers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really brilliant to see Napoleonics on the first day. A great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking start to the challenge Paul! Too bad about the miscast, but you sure seem to have been able to make the best of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Paul - they look excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super start Paul and some lovely additions to the Napoleonic collection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely looking trio of Napoleonic officers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice.

    A miscast, especially on the face, can be a real heart breaker and disincentive to paint. I have lost count of how many Perry metals I have started and stopped due to flash and cleanup issues.

    Looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob, the Perry Metals can be painful at times. I fin using the magnifying visor I recently purchased a boon during their clean-up

      Delete