Monday 21 December 2020

From PeteF: It's A.... Carriage? (40 points)

 





There are many kinds of trap:

It's A.....

  1. If you’re a geologist - somewhere in rock layers favourable to fossil fuels
  2. If you’re a jazz musician – things you bang 
  3. If you’re a plumber – a bendy bit of pipe
  4. If you play baseball – a bit of your glove
  5. If you’ve got a shotgun – the thing that lobs clay pigeons
  6. If you’re a golfer – a bunker
  7. Other sports – controlling a football, double teaming a basketball player, tricking a defensive lineman (that's in the "football" where players use their hands)
  8. If you’re a dungeon explorer – a horse carriage with springs

Challenge XI has a distinctly dungeony theme – which takes me back to exploring the unknown, a valley  of caves in some kind of remote area and many other far off monster filled underground networks. However, something else that reminds me of my youth is Napoleonic Minifigs and  I’m planning a lot of them over the next 3 months.

The first room of the dungeon presented a problem – although chevaux de frise and suchlike could be found in Napoleonic sieges I’m not planning any for my Minifigs army. I rummaged through my inherited Minifigs stuff and found this. It’s “Wagon 9”, one of the Minifigs carriages, which my dad bought back in the 1980s. It was handed down to my brother and thence to me. At some point on its journey it was primed white – but it remained unassembled and unloved.

I guess I could have saved this for the long forgotten projects or ancestors rooms – but as it’s a kinda sorta trap I’m presenting it as my opening entry for the Challenge XI.

Minifigs do a Napoleon and driver set for the carriages so at some point Wagon 9 will get some people and proper carriage horses. All sorts of scenarios could involve the carriage and I may use it to represent the commanding general for Quatres Bras – or Waterloo if I live long enough to paint all those line infantry.

One 25mm vehicle plus bonus for the Hall of Traps: 40 points

Thank you Curt and your minions for running another Challenge - I'm looking forward to these winter weeks, the opportunity to enjoy everyone's brushwork and participation in this wonderful community. I hope you all like Minifigs!

21 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic, I like the insignia on the doors.
    Great choice for a 'trap' as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart - technically the Little Coporal would have had an eagle and some other stuff but when I tried that it looked like a right mess compared with the crowned N.

      Delete
  2. Good one Pete! It may be subliminal, but when I saw your post I immediately thought of 'The Plot of the rue Saint-Nicaise', which was the attempted assassination of Napoleon while he was travelling in his carriage in Paris (1800). It was basically a roadside bomb, a 'machine infernal' which was detonated near his carriage. Of course it was botched, managing to kill several innocents in the blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea the Corsican Fiend nearly bought it so early on in his tyranny - how different the world would have been.

      Delete
    2. I never knew that that was in the Rue Saint Nicaise! Of course, the good Saint Nicasius is where my (very rare) surname derives from. Great story!

      Delete
  3. Holy moly, how are people cranking stuff out so fast! It's gonna be the weekend before I get anything up.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was dependent on few colours and no basing - others won't be so quick!

      Delete
  4. Great looking carriage, love the paint wok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, so quickly done and so well executed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the theme! The yellow details really take it up a level!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nicley painted, and really quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a very good take on a trap and of course everybody likes Minifigs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely looking carriage!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely model. Really like this. (And helpful definitions, too - should give a few ideas to anyone looking for inspiration for this Chamber).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super model, love the cabriolet look 👍🏼

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely looking minifigs carriage!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely work. Definitely option 1 in the list of definitions of traps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb. Can’t wait to see the coachmen and team.

    ReplyDelete