Thursday 24 December 2020

From PaulSS: [The Chamber of Darkness] Hugh Jarse (25pts)

Seasons Greetings to you all!

The Chamber of Darkness: For this chamber challenge, you’ll need to paint a model in luxurious greyscale. Quick, buy some more Vallejo “Neutral Grey”, dear Challengers!

I was wondering which figure I should use for this challenge and then I remembered that I had a spare Hugh Jarse figure from the Too Fat Lardies release.


This figure is straight out of the Commando comics of my youth with his gangster Thompson SMG with drum magazine, perfect for being captured in greyscale.

The figure is done from a base of VMC Basalt Grey, Black Gray and Pale Gray (sorry no Neutral Grey) followed by a glaze of Black Grey then worked back up with basecoat and highlights. I was not too happy how the flesh came out so that was gone over again with a thin wash of Tamiya Smoke so he looked less like a zombie.


I really struggled with the photos, I think it took about 20 minutes to paint but 40 minutes messing around with the camera settings. I eventually settled on my usual green background as more monotone backgrounds came out terrible.


A single 28mm figure along with the location bonus will net me 25 points.



29 comments:

  1. Nice work Paul. Greyscale's not easy to paint or photograph. But you've done a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very smart and helping me with technique for my entry into the Chambers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a succes, I'd say. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I call the mini a win. Not looking forward to this chamber myself. My painting style depends too much on dazzle to distract attention from problem areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, you could go for a WWII ship with grey primer plus wash and call it done.

      Delete
  5. Nice looking greyscale figure!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good try with this difficult technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Paul. Greyscale seems simple, but takes a bit of right lobe thinking to pull off. And you're right, taking good photos of them is a challenge in of itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, it is indeed a bit of trial and error in both the application of the paint and the subsequent photography.

      Delete
  8. Great idea for the Greyscale thingy 👍🏼 just started reading the Commando Comics that are being reprinted 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ken, I still have a few, and indeed we included one as a reference for the Keren game a few years ago ;)

      Delete
  9. Good example of greyscale - I'm worried, too, about this Chamber. Maybe I'll choose a grey mare...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel, I'm currently painting a grey mare for one of my Napoleonic units, I don't know which is harder....

      Delete
  10. Great work, you've done a fantastic job with the greys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely stuff Paul!

    (I haven't painted anything yet! I'd better get to it then!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good work! I hadn’t thought of the difficulties with photography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, prepare yourself for some trial and error sessions.

      Delete