Thursday 24 December 2020

From Curt: Four Cops and P.I. 'Ginger' Brede from Arkham City (25 Points)



A few years ago Sarah and I took in the Partizan show up in Newark. We met up with several Challengers including SidneyR, DaveD, MartinC and Tamsin. During our visit, Tamsin kindly gifted me a pack of Copplestone 'Beat Cops' for my pulp adventure collection. 

I've had these primed and sitting in my paint queue for several years. Yes, I hang my head with the shame of it. Before Covid we had a game where I really wanted some police figures and so I swore I'd get them done-up this Challenge.

Accordingly, here are several boys from Detachment B, Arkham City Police. I love Copplestone's models - just enough detail for character, but nothing overblown - they almost paint themselves.


I thought these cops needed an associate, so I painted up a private dick from Artizan Miniatures. I've named him Atticus Brede. The locals call him 'Ginger' due to his red hair. Ginger Brede was formally a sergeant in the Arkham City Police, but had a nervous breakdown after a midnight call to Miskatonic University saw him the only survivor from his detachment. Due of his insane rantings from that night he was 'offered' early retirement. Nonetheless, Ginger has chosen to honour his fallen comrades and continues to investigate the strange goings happening within his beloved city as a private investigator.


I like how slovenly Ginger is, with his untucked, partially buttoned shirt, and wearing too-large trousers, cinched up by a belt. Lots of character.


These five of Arkham's finest will give me 25 points along with a point in our Squirrel Duel.

Thank you so much Tamsin, they were great fun to work on!

Curt

40 comments:

  1. Splendid painting, lots of character!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. With stout fellows like these keeping the crooks at bay, what could possibly go wrong? Great painting, Curt, and I love the background story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. I remember Newark well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I look forward to our next get together.

      Delete
  4. Great coppers and PI Curt. Ginger looks like he might have a. Half eaten sandwich in his jacket pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, that' perfect imagery for Ginger. Thanks Pete.

      Delete
  5. Love the deep blue on the coppers Curt. Always nice to have a backstory with a mini too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jeremy. Some new models for us to get killed/have go insane. :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice entry. Hope to see you around in Europe again sometime in the near future to share another dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito! Yes, we look forward to our next dinner date with you and your lovely wife.

      Delete
  7. I completely forgot that I'd given you those cops - good to see them finally painted up. Nicely done, Curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! It really is nice to have them done. Thanks again for the kind gift.

      Delete
  8. Great looking figs, perfect for the setting 👍🏼
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are a bit nice, really! They look like a bunch of tough coppers... I bet they’re constantly sniggering behind Gingers back because of his many quirky habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I imagine he has saved them from innumerable nasty scrapes. Thanks Nick!

      Delete
  10. Great figures, as always, Curt. I particularly like Ginger - though it looks as if his thinking is somewhat inspired by a wind the cops can't feel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic work Curt. I can't imagine what might have gone wrong at such a fine post-secondary institution like Miskatonic University?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right!? What could go amiss from an institution that teaches courses in spellcraft and occult mysteries?

      Delete
  12. Lovely work. Copplestone and Artizan do some great figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Stuart! Yes, I just wish they would do some more. :)

      Delete
  13. some really Hot Fuzz here gov! Seeing your excellent paintjob, I think the wait was well worth it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Copplestone and Murch are my go-to guys for all things Pulp. These are lovely figures Curt, and you've done a bang-up job as per usual!

    And that terrain just screams 'Innsmouth Raid'! Did you make that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ev, very kind of you.

      The terrain comes from kobblestone.ca they make these wonderful facia kits that allows you to mix and match styles. I dug it out thinking it would fit for the 'Innsmouth Raid'. :)

      Ev, if you get a chance, check out Peter Rawlik 'The Reannimators' and 'The Weird Company'. I think you'd enjoy them.

      Delete
  15. Definitely going to need some old school policing to deal with those things that should not be. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely stuff, I do like the figures that paint themselves. And you need to work on overcoming shame, it isn’t helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barks, you should know by now that I'm completely shameless.

      Delete
  17. Great entry and perfectly showcases figures! Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work here, and really ties in with the background as well!

    ReplyDelete