Thursday 24 December 2020

From StuartL - Several Shades of Grey - 25 points

Merry Christmas everyone!

And what better way to celebrate this festive period than to venture in to The Chamber of Darkness? What's that? Eating cake and watching TV, you say? Well, to each their own. 

The target for this challenge was to paint a model in greyscale. Now, I am sure that there are some very talented painters out there who can paint a marvelous figure in greyscale, but given that my painting talents are less focused on technique and more on banging out any old tosh as fast as I can, sadly my entry is probably lacking the skill to really showcase what can be achieved. 

Now, I do have some grey minis coming up (hopefully) before the end of the challenge, but there will be some other spot colours on them, so sadly they were out of the running. I don't particularly want to do a full unit/warband/army in greyscale, so I had to cast around for a loose figure that I could spare for this entry. Luckily, I had some spare plastic bits and pieces from my Bolt Action German force kicking around, so I quickly stuck this fellow together and got out all my grey paints.


Since I don't think German Field Grey counts as being in greyscale (being kind of green), I did the main part of the uniform in Vallejo Basalt Grey. Black Grey was used for the webbing, Sky Grey for the skin and a mix of the above with varying amounts of Light Grey was used for the equipment.


As I have painted up far too many grenadiers before, I had a rough idea what I wanted to achieve in terms of brightness with the mini, and I think it came out ok. I'm sure that it could be better, but for a first attempt, I'm happy with it. 


And that's it. One greyscale(ish) grenadier, 25 points for the mini and Chamber bonus and away we go to the Larder.


Have a great Christmas!

15 comments:

  1. Good looking grayscale grenadier! Does the job nicely!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoi Stuart, briliant Greyscale work! I am in awe, since that's one hall I will be by-passing-by-witch for sure!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander. The hall is challenging, but not too difficult if you pick a model/period you are familiar with.

      Delete
  3. More than enough shades of grey, I'd say. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I used maybe 10 shades of grey, if you include those created by the black wash. I can't imagine any situation where you'd need more than 47 or 48 shades of grey tops.

      Delete
  4. Well done Stuart! It's interesting that we're getting lots of WWII figures for this Chamber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost did a Space Marine, but went for the grenadier due to more familiarity with the uniform.

      Delete
  5. I think they lend themselves easier to this chamber due to still images we grew up on? Maybe? 🤔
    But I am liking seeing all the different styles of it though! Nice work here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly true. The B&W photography we have all seen only covers a relatively short period of time compared to the range of wargaming periods.

      Delete
  6. Great work on the greyscale grenadier. He would work as a spectral Nazi in a pulp game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hadn't considered that option for using the figure, great idea Peter.

      Delete
  7. Another quality job on the greyscale, nice one 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete