Friday 5 February 2021

From Dallas: Adventurers and a Landing (Craft) in the Adventurers' Landing (70 points)

Throughout this Challenge I've been avoiding painting boats. I know I pulled a cheeky move posting my Gaslands Porsche 928 in the Aquifer, but the "Adventurers' Landing" really requires an actual water-going vehicle, so here it is.

This is a 1/56 Italian Motolance ML landing craft from Barrage Miniatures, which Alf kindly included as a freebie when I ordered a terrain mat from him several years ago. Nine examples of this craft were built for a planned invasion of Malta.

You've no doubt noticed that the boat is packed full of British Commandos... since my theory is that one landing craft very much resembles another (and more to the point, I have no Italians in my 28mm WW2 collection, nor do I have any desire to paint any), I figure I can use this model for generic landing craft duties in pretty much any theatre.
 
It's a decent model, cast in resin, although the artifacts of a 3D-printed master are evident from the small lines in the casting. Fortunately the cargo area is precisely 40mm across so it perfectly fits my 20mm-based models two abreast.

There's some nice detailing on the deck.

A pretty neat model all in all, if you want a smallish landing craft for a game.

So that takes care of the "landing" part of the Chamber... now for the "Adventurers"! This lot is again from the Casting Room, plus one old Wargames Foundry figure.

Foundry "Elven fighter" (so called because he's a bit smaller than modern Heroic 28s) and a Casting Room Thief. Both nice models although the eyeholes in the thief's mask seem rather awkwardly placed for regular vision... perhaps he prefers giving the "side-eye"...

Foundry model is well-equipped for dungeon delving with backpack, rope and potions. Shield is GW I think, from my bag of shields.
 
Two models here that strike me as mercenary/hireling types, both from the Casting Room. Dude at left was cast with a ridiculous full visored helm which was swapped for the bare head.



Last two fellas here, again from the Casting Room. I'm a bit indifferent to the fighter at left but I REALLY like the guy with the lantern.

Again, the figures are heavily armed and equipped for adventure.

Now the math... 20 points for the Motolance landing craft, 30 for six 28mm adventurers, and 20 for the room bonus. Next I think I will circle around to the Lair of the Great Beast before clearing the Hall of Heroes, as I'm waiting for a special base to use on the model for the Hall. Getting closer to that Altar and the end of the Quest!
 
Stay safe all!

13 comments:

  1. Great looking generic landing craft and the adventurers are ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work Dallas!
    And your theory of landing craft is 100% correct...they all kinda look the same...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are forgiven for your naval craft heresy! It looks very nice and maybe the Brits commandeered it.
    Love e adventurers. The thief looks like he’s going to a costume ball, and I agree on the guy with the lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funnily enough I too have the very same landing craft hidden somewhere in my stash. Came together with my terrain mat too. While I think it's a real shame you don't plan on adding Italians to your collection (one of the most underrated forces ever imho) I have to agree that most of those crafts tend to look very samey. Be that as it may you've done a very nice job on both the craft and the Adventurers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments! But with Early-War Germans, Mid-Late War Germans, Waffen-SS, and Fallschirmjaeger; British infantry, paratroopers, and Commandos; French infantry; Russian infantry; and US winter infantry and Paras; all in reinforced platoon or greater strength with vehicles and support weapons (and German winter Waffen-SS on the painting table) I think I am pretty much good for WW2 forces :-D

      Delete
    2. Now that's Heresy! You can't ever have enough forces for WW2. The Italians would perfectly fill the "Underdog" roll I see is lacking in your collection ;-)

      Delete
    3. Haha... I actually forgot my Foundry BEF/Home Guard platoon which might fill that role nicely ;-)

      Delete
  5. That's a nice paint job on the lander!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great submission - like the figures and LOVE the landing craft :-) Ive been in a few over the years and have no excuse why my own collection doesn't include one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific work Dallas. Love that whacky landing craft. As it's Italian, I'm sure each one had its own mechanic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Dallas. The landing craft look brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great landiong party, I do wish you had made a picture of the Heroes in the landing cratft, that'd be a sight for sore eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great landing craft, 3d printing amazes me, some nice fantasy figs on top as well 😀
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete