Saturday 6 March 2021

AlanD - Something different.... (48 points)

The release of the second edition of Sam Mustafa's Lasalle rules has had me digging out my stockpiles of 6mm Napoleonic figures. I think massive Napoleonic games in 6mm are a bit of a Holy Grail for me. I've never really found rules that make me think it's work painting A LOT of tiny figures, but I needed a break from painting Dacians, so thought I'd do a unit of little Austrians with shakos from the 1814 campaign as a test. 


I do quite like painting 6mm. Once you get the hang of it it's quite meditative, and often I've found myself gently levitating while painting belt straps. Well maybe not, but I do find I can get into a good routine with them. The figures are from Baccus, and there are 96 of them, so 48 points worth.


Feel free to suggest your favourite rules for using these below! 

10 comments:

  1. Excellent painting! I like how you've managed to get the two different whites for the uniform and cross belts.
    I have to say the best rules for Napoleonics is General d'Armee. By Dave Brown. It's at a more granular level than Lasalle or Blücher. But I prefer that as it makes it look and feel more Napleonic battle compared to Napoleonic board game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been looking at General d'Armee, and it does seem to be about the level of abstraction I'm looking for.

      Delete
  2. Can you tell us a bit about your base size?

    If I had all the time and money, I’d do Commands & Colors in 6mm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barks! I'm using the 6cmx3cm bases that Baccus sells for its Polemos rules. I quite like the size - not too fiddly, and each base has a decent number of figures. They're made to hold three strips of four figures each across.

      Delete
  3. fabulous work on those!

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking teeny tiny Austrians!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great, they look the business all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. splendid little fellows. have you tried Blucher or ESR?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A really cracking job on these Alan!

    ReplyDelete