Saturday 6 March 2021

From Dallas: LotR Army of the Dead (100 points)

More procrastination on the Adeptus Titanicus Reaver Titan I've been tasked to paint by the Snowlord, but I'm sure he'll forgive a lapse into Middle-Earth for a bit.

I'd mentioned in my Reaper Hill Giant post that I stopped at a local shop for a pot of Biel-Tan Green wash - well, this is why. It was to paint the 20 Army of the Dead models included with the Battle of Pelennor Fields box set that just arrived at Conscript Towers.

I'm sure this was the easiest 100 points anybody ever got in the Challenge - I sprayed the models Krylon Satin White on the sprues, then assembled them and stuck them onto the bases. I then applied BTG to taste and painted over the bases with craft black paint. Since the rest of my LotR models are based with sand, these got the same treatment. Paint base edges black and apply static grass, matt varnish, and done.

I actually quite like these plastic models even though they're getting on 15(?) years old? (I did some Googling to see if I could find out when they were released - and looking in my copy of the War of the Ring game from 2008 I see that pics of these models were included, so they must be at least that old)

One mild irritant is the scale creep though - maybe the Warriors of the Dead are supposed to be large and imposing? Or perhaps just well-fed? But they are noticeably larger than the Numenorean warriors of the LotR game...

...and are larger than King Elessar himself, even.

But notwithstanding this, I quite like the models and they really couldn't be any easier to paint. So chalk up another 100 points for me then please and thank you :-)

Stay safe!

9 comments:

  1. Rapid or not, these spectral Lord of the Rings warriors are excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the figures, I have the Pelennor Fields box as well. That is some serious scale creep though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. They may have been quick to do but the result is great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work Dallas! I may take some of your work to use for my 10mm versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking of doing these myself! But mine aren't assembled yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teemu claimed 1 skull per Dead, so +20 to you!

      Delete
  6. Very nice work, great ethereal effect with these little guys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very spooky! Great work Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Death float a bit above the ground, so that might explain the size difference?

    ReplyDelete