Monday 22 March 2021

From NoelW: It all began with a Yorkshire Rap

 And now it's a wrap from a Yorkshireman.

Nice to come full circle. Here's me with the accomplishment of the last three months: 

You can see that one thing that hasn't improved since this time last year is my photographic skills. I must get round to reading the manual. And that smirk suggests that the subject has never seen a camera before.

On the table is everything I've painted during the Challenge, apart from two items: one ship was, rather like its owner, too highly strung, so when it received a little knock, mast and bowsprit sprang asunder - the perils of using fragile 3D print tech, I guess. So it's sitting in dry dock at present. And my favourite piece of the entire Challenge is not here either: I scratch-built a Poe-esque pendulum early in the Challenge, and was so pleased with it I carefully stored it away in this secure cupboard - I mean, that deep drawer - my mistake - probably in the Really Useful Box with all the Frostgrave - no? - er...did I even build the thing? Well, it must be here somewhere. Maybe I'll rediscover it before December.

I was very pleased with this year's painting and modelling, even though the points total fell way short of the last two years. I'd planned to advance 12 projects, and am happy to find that 10 of them are better off now than they were when we began. 

Here's a couple more shots of the figures. 


Pretty impossible to make out individual pieces, but I've managed to work on terrain, ships, 10mm, 28mm, historical in 10 theatres/periods, sci fi and fantasy. No 15mm, though, nothing later than Napoleonic, and no vehicles, so those are things to start planning for when we rebegin in December. Knowing me, I'll have that planning well under way by midday tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone again for brilliant posts, excellent painting, imaginative gaming and some inspirational work. I think this Challenge is a model for how people can, and should, get on with each other online, so I'm hoping Curt will be rolling out the paradigm to the UN real soon now. Meanwhile, failing that, I'll see you all again in December. 


10 comments:

  1. Haha! I like that in order to be in the shot with your horde of minis you have to lean in from stage left. :) Brilliant work Noel. I especially liked your Age of Sail ships and the 10mm Tolkien armies. Wonderful.

    Now, I think we need to have a chat about you being a Minion for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ow man, that would be a very devious plan Curt! But I like the way you're thinking ;-)

      Delete
  2. Marvellous challenge from you again. Your expression is full on Yorkshire

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant work once again Noel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another splendid output this year, plus large dollops of humour!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thoroughly enjoyed your narrative as you went through the chambers, absolutely bonkers, but fun from beginning to end. Even if you didn't reach the heights of previous years, you still left the rest of us far behind. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Astonishing work Noel - and who amongst us isn't captivated by your "Yorkshire smile"? Your brushwork is outstanding and it's an honor to share the podium with you and Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! It is amazing how much you managed to get done, Noel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More like a Yorkshire Wrap (up) Noel. But what a brilliant CHallenge you've had! All those excellent entries accompanied by true poetic masterpieces, loved it all.

    Hope to see you next year again, be it as Minion or Challenger!

    ReplyDelete