Monday 22 March 2021

From SimonG: AHPC XI Wrap Up - Until Next Time!

When you get it all out at once it does seem like I;ve been able to accomplish a decent amount in the last three months (at least my wife was impressed!)







I've been working on three projects for the duration. My 28mm HYW is (almost) finished -- just three more stands of English Men At Arms, two leader bases and then some casualty and disorder markers and I'm at last ready for my first battle!




The Black Rose Wars game pieces have been a nice diversion and I've got about 75 more of these still to paint so no doubt I'll be dipping into them on and off over the next several years 🤪



My favourite however has been the 10mm Cold War project -- it was great to be able to start and finish an army and to be able to pack it all in one KR Case at the end and the small but characterful sculpts kept me engaged -- I'm looking forward to getting the British done over the next couple of months and then add some West Germans just as soon as Timecast and Red3 get their Leopards done!




Anyway thanks again to everyone who has been involved in and participated in this year's challenge -- I'm looking forward to next year and if anyone finds themselves in East Kent once lockdown has eased give me a ping and we can meet up for a beer and a game!

22 comments:

  1. You had a great Challenge Simon, well done Sir! If your ever in West Kent drop me a line, you'd be very welcome for a game at Reject HQ and a of course for a beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray -- I may need to take you up on that (of course I just need to move back to Kent first (currently in W Sussex))

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Nick -- very much inspired by your work however, much I hope to aspire to one day :-)

      Delete
  3. Splendid challenge Simon,really liked your cold war stuff and the fantasy but I liked the 100years war figures best,especially the baggage train!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain -- the two armies arrayed opposite one another will look pretty darn impressive -- I'm torn between 28mm (which looks so good) and 15 or 10 for my next ancients project -- I might split the difference and do a large army in 15mm with a skirmish group in 28

      Delete
  4. A great out out Simon. Really enjoy seeing the HYW stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- being able to anchor in the solid history is really enjoyable, I have several more volumes of HYW history to catch up on (the Sumption 3 volume set and "By Fire and Sword" by Peter Reid)

      Delete
  5. I really like the HYW pieces, Simon - mind you, the whole collection is great. My HYW drags behind rather, but I'm going to take some inspiration from yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noel -- as my first project back into the hobby after a 35 year break I'm glad I chose the HYW and Impetus basing, it makes each piece worthwhile on its own and the whole lot together really looks the part

      Delete
  6. Lovely work Simon. Like many, I very much enjoyed your HYW project. It would be nice to organize a Challenge meetup in the UK again. Perhaps at one of the larger shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt - shows, what are those 🤪 -- oddly enough one of the last things I did before lockdown #1 in the UK last year was attend Cavalier in Tonbridge, would be great to be able to start these sorts of things again

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Adam -- seeing everyone else's efforts really helps push you along -- I'm looking forward to joining in again next time!

      Delete
  8. Great output across your entries. The Black Rose Wars minis are certainly an interesting collection of figures, I look forward to seeing more in future challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart -- the LMS figures are nicely done and I have plenty more to work on plus some more extensions yet to be delivered so hopefully some more good things to paint in the future!

      Delete
  9. Great work Simon. I especially liked the 10mm Cold Wars mini's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles, my first time at that scale and I’m excited to try more in different periods

      Delete
  10. You made great progress on all three projects. All very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan, now just need to get one of them finished 😉

      Delete
  11. While all your figures are damn fine, the 100YW knights are awe inspiring! See you next year Simon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sander, I’ll have to come up with another project for next time, I’ve got some ideas and can’t wait to get started

      Delete