Thursday 30 December 2021

From AlanD - Romanian Infantry (125 points)

Despite the traditional post-Christmas torpor, I've been pushing on with my first Challenge project and painting more Romanian infantry from Great Escape Games. I'm quite enjoying painting these, and like the slightly motley appearance of different headgear and winter uniform contrasting with the snow. 




In addition to another 20 infantry, I've also finished a machine gun team, manning a very nice model of a ZB 53 medium machine gun.




I had some nice comments about the snow bases for my last entry, so here's how they are done. I've been mixing Woodland Scenics snow 'flock' into Liquitex acrylic 'Resin Sand'. This is a really nice acrylic medium that I use to give texture to bases. It dries clear, so with the snow flock it ends up still looking a bit slushy.





So with 23 x 28mm figures and a crew-served weapon, this should add 125 points to my total. Happy New Year to you all, and may it bring more games and time with friends than the last couple of years.

______________________________

Fabulous work Alan! I love seeing these outliers (and their not-very-common gear, such as the ZB-53). I'm a huge fan of the various Liquitex texture mediums - they are such a time saver when basing figures. As a suggestion, also try Golden's 'Heavy Gel', as it gives a great hard crust ice effect - something to mix with your Resin Sand method.

Happy New Year Alan!

- Curt 

19 comments:

  1. Well done Alan, thanks for the snow recipe and wonderful miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking Romanians and nice snow effect, I really like Liquitexs range of kit too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your process in more detail. I made notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work on these Romanians Alan. The snow effects are smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely incredible work there! I too appreciate the snow recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great looking winter figures and some top advice on the snow bases 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, Dux! :)

    Just a quick thought for taking the snow bases up a notch, it might be worth drybrushing the tufts with a very pale grey to make them look "frosty".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Alan! The slush looks legit…same as the stuff clogging my driveway…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I envy those who have temperatures that allow slush...

      Delete
  9. Very chilly looking figures, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely stuff, that snow really looks like snow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well done! I'm feeling cold just by looking at that lot. Also nice to see some of the 'minor' axis nations represented on the table top

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cool mate! The grimy look and the the awesome basing have come together to paint a wonderful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good tip on the textured snow basing Alan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice. I like the whitewashed helmets as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cool mate, but so much better IRL.
    Looking forward to seeing them on the table soon :-)

    ReplyDelete