Thursday 30 December 2021

From SimonM - "Games Workshop" Epic Black Templars, Space Wolves & Dark Angels (16 points)

As with my opening submission, these 6mm scale plastic models of a Conqueror Robot, Rhino, fifteen Assault Space Marines, five Terminators and a five-figure Adeptus Astartes Command stand all used to be produced by “Games Workshop” as part of their now long out of production (OOP) “Epic” range. As a result I obtained the vast majority of them second-hand, and subsequently have had to paint some of them up as Black Templars owing to the tiny softly-detailed miniatures already being primed in a distinctly thick black paint.

This decision meant that both the Sergeant’s squad and accompanying Terminators simply received a couple of licks of watered-down “Citadel” Abaddon Black, before having their shoulder-pads all ‘picked out’ with a little “Vallejo” White and Pale Grey. In addition, all of their bolters (as well as the sergeant’s cybernetic eye) were treated to a combination of “Vallejo” Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil, whilst the sergeant’s hair was daubed with a dollop of “Vallejo” Heavy Sienna and some “Citadel” Agrax Earthshade.

Fortunately, I was able to find fifteen Assault Space Marine figures which hadn’t yet been ever touched by a paint-brush, so promptly decided to give them some coats of “Vallejo” Heavy Bluegrey and Dark Green so as to represent the Space Wolves and Dark Angels respectively. All of these tiny warriors were then shaded in “Citadel” Nuln Oil before being carefully dry-brushed in their appropriate base colours. Finally, I picked out their chainswords and boltguns with “Vallejo” Gunmetal and “Citadel” Nuln Oil.

Alongside these fine fellows, I decided to try and rescue one particular poor-looking Rhino transport vehicle I found, which had been badly glooped with black at some distant point in its past. As aforementioned, I have been using such models for my Black Templars, but on this occasion felt the sculpt’s details might just survive two passes of “Vallejo” Dark Green, a wash of “Citadel” Nuln Oil, and a thorough dry-brush of (more) “Vallejo” Dark Green. The end result was a semi-successful Dark Angels Rhino to accompany the Chapter’s Assault Space Marines.

Lastly, I added a Robot to my burgeoning Dark Angels force by following precisely the same process as I had for both the Rhino and Assault Space Marines. However, I did pick out the automaton’s eyes with a dab of “Vallejo” Heavy Red and “Citadel” Carroburg Crimson.

Hopefully this second of several planned “Epic” deployments during the AHPC will provide:

1 x Rhino – 2 Points

1 x Robot – 1 Point (as per previous submission’s scoring)

15 x Assault Space Marines – 7.5 Points

5 x Terminators – 2.5 Points

5 x Space Marines – 2.5 Points

Total – 15 ½ Points


___________________________

A great set of reinforcements for your existing Epic force. I really like how your brushwork distinctly features the various Space Marine Chapters (the livery for the Space Wolves I find particularly brilliant). I've rounded up to 16 points for this detachment.

Keep them coming, Simon!

- Curt


26 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Really enjoying these old classics.

      Delete
  2. Great models. Sadly my Epic wargaming buddy has moved away, so my Ork force now needs an Opponent. Maybe I should finally get around to painting the Chaos Spam force I have somewhere in my to do pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed, Peter. I have a few more Space Marine units to paint, and then I'll be diving into some of the Chaos figures I've uncovered. Orks will be coming too at some point.

      Delete
  3. Looking good! I think I’m going to have to get some of the Citadel Nuln Oil. I see it referenced often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. Nuln Oil is my go to shade for anything which needs darkening. :-)

      Delete
  4. I painted some Epic Rhinos some time ago and these posts of you make me want to try the infantry as well. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu. That's extremely kind of you to say. The shoulder-pads on the Black Templars, even without picking out ridges, are a little intimidatingly fiddly. But the Space Wolves and Dark Angels are super-easy, and look good en-mass, imho.

      Delete
  5. Fabulous to see such old school greatness given life Simon! Space Marine was my first big wargame set and I still have 2 big moving boxes filled with goodies in the garage :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh... I look forward to when you dig those out and give them an airing, Paul :-)

      Delete
  6. Great looking old school epic,super Space Wolves and Dark Angels!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. I'll be momentarily pausing my Epic push over the next few days, to get some paint on a few Blood Bowl Dwarves which might be familiar to you ;-)

      Delete
  7. I always love looking at these little miniature Space Wombles, top job on them 👏
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  8. More cool looking epic marines. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like them on these bases, it gives the figures a little room to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Gives me a bit more room to get some grit and flock around them too. LOL!!

      Delete