Thursday 30 December 2021

From IainW: Essex ECW/War of Three Kingdoms shotte - The last of the Blax Bequest! (35 Points)

About three years ago I was visiting the blog of a fellow AHPC alumni SimonM aka Blax aka 'The Nuln Oil Kid' and there was some star trek figures on his blog, I mentioned I had some 25mm citadel star trek miniatures from about 1980 knocking around in my loft if he wanted them, it took me some years to mine them from  my lead mountain and together with some citadel spacefarers and 15mm citadel Traveller figures and some other 15mm scifi figures from about 1980 I finally sent them off this summer. In response he suggested I have his second hand collection of painted 28mm oop Front Rank ECW figures that there were sitting in his loft,but there were so many of them he'd have to drop them off. I  have cleaned up and rebased 4 units of cavalry, 2 units of dragoons, a number of command stands and with the addition of these 7 1980s Essex shot figures I can field a 6th pike and shot regiment from his figures.  So thanks Simon!






This gives me a regiment of the London trained bands (hence the buff coats)for the battle of Cropredy, so I wanted a bit of variety with them, it also meant I could dump various left over figures in too, to make the numbers up! Apostles in green to match the  existing shot, I haven't copied the original style but I think they do. As you can see I have moved over to six /seven figures on a stick to speed up production, ammunition quality painting but not too bad for an evenings work. 









This is a photo of the unit together with all the figures I have from the Blax trade (a Jacobite cannon and crew have skedadled across the Atlantic)

So 7 x 5 28mm figures is 35 to start me off, I'm not planning on doing planets (I've still got a half built dockyard from a few years ago!)  so even though they came via Vulcan (in a convoluted manner to be sure!) I'll stick with that, obviously not Napoleonic which I hope to stick to with laser accuracy this year, oh well!

All the best, Iain 

_____________________________________

Fabulous first entry for you this year, Iain! Welcome back to the Challenge, mate.

These harquebusiers for your pike & shotte unit look terrific - I especially enjoy your high-contrast style. I like that they still have their 'swinefeathers', showing them to be from the first battles of the war. (I suspect that, by the later years, these were probably being used more to roast sausages and dry laundry than to keep firearms propped up.) 

It warms my heart to know that two Challengers got together and exchanged figures to be enjoyed again - how wonderful! I've been the happy beneficiary of your hobby kindness in the past, being a proud recipient of a Sisters of Battle force - keep an eye out for some more of those this year.

Great work Iain. I look forward to your upcoming Napoleonics. 

- Curt 


35 comments:

  1. The “Blax Trade”. Sounds like something shifty the traders in The City might come up with…

    Great work Iain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the Columbian exchange. They give us corn , potatoes and tobacco and we give them small pox and measles.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Greg, you forgot to add syphilis to the American side Peter!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  2. Methinks some new lingo will be added into Challenge Lore ….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,definitely need Blax Trade as a label in future!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Those veteran figures have come out very nicely. I agree with Curt that the high contrast style works very well on the older style castings. I swear that Blax puts Nuln Oil on his cornflakes and in his coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter I notice you didn't declare your interest in the Blax Trade,just saying!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    2. I am planning to make this a tri-partisan trade duel before the challenge winds up Iain.

      Delete
  4. Very impressive Iain! I think it’s awesome that you and another Challenger made this trade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! Yes a win win for both of us!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  5. Nice work, the army looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart, I'm happy with the lot!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  6. Fantastic to see some ECW figures, and remarkable that it only took an evening's work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are bashed out a bit,the basing took a while!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  7. Well done and a fine looking army!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back Iain, love it that you are bringing some old 80s figures back to life and the gaming table 😁 Am I old if I remember these being released 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken,cutting edge for 1986,apparently that's not recently, news to me!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  9. Splendid stuff, Iain, and some super additions to my old ECW collection. They really do look the biz now you've based them all up. Super-pleased to see them all table-top ready :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the star trek stuff as well as the bloodbowl figures, I think we both did well out of it but thanks again!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  10. What a great idea to swap spare figures to get them used, I’m impressed!

    Nice paint jobs too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Jamie and yes useful to both parties!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the Essex range is dated now but I don't care. These were my first ECW and I still love them. Great to see them getting lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dated,but in a good way,cheers Millsy!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  13. Iain these are very well done, some great choices of colour there.

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Barks,disappointing lack of skulls I'm afraid!
      Best Iain

      Delete