Thursday 30 December 2021

From DaveS - Yet More HYW French - 100pts

The last few days have seen more progress on the HYW French army.

One of the quirks of the Basic Impetus 2 System is that it has "fixed" army lists, with a very few options provided to change it up.  This means that there is very little variety in terms of which models are used.

This army has all been built from Perry Plastics, mainly the Agincourt Cavalry and French Army boxes.  The slight downside to this, is that there are no archers in either of these.  This means that in order to make the archers that the fixed list required, I have had to buy a box of "English Army" plastics, in order to actually make the french.  This was.... odd.  Despite this, the models themselves went together really easily, and painted up quickly and with no real hassles.




The other unit was the Heavy Infantry.  How heavy is not really clear from the army list, and I initiallt built these using the men at arms figures from the French Army box.  Unfortunately, reading the list again, I realised that these were supposed to be armed with "Long Spears", and that the Men at Arms were better used as the foot versions of the Cavalry, which can be used.  Therefore, I built a second unit, this time using the armoured bodies and spear arms.




Finally, I took the opportunity of having the models out for basing to get a photo of the whole army so far.


Missing from this are the Noble Cavalry, Men At Arms Cavalry, and another unit of spearmen.

The list also requires a skirmisher unit of Bretons with javelins.  I'm still struggling to find models to use for these, and may just take the option to exchange the unit for an initiative re-roll.


This post is made of 8 archers and 12 Spearmen, for 20 28mm models, at 100pts.

Having taken much less time on this army than anticipated, I've started looking at the army lists from the rulebook to see what I might want to build next (given that I really like the fixed, defined forces that can be "finished").  I think that I have decided on an early 16th Century Florence force, which will give me the chance to make use of the Warlord "Landsknect" models, as well us many of the leftover Perry plastics that I have from this project.


____________________________

Dave, wonderful work on these French spearmen, and English, er... French archers? I dunno, maybe put a fews baguettes or a croque m'sieur in there somewhere for safe measure. I also like the Army-as-it-is (or as you say 'finished') group shot.  Well done.

16th century Florence next? Oh, yes please!

- Curt


17 comments:

  1. These look good Dave, and the fixed army lists sound quite... tempting? Actually finish something!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look the part Dave! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice group of figs Dave, the army is building up nicely 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very impressive with them all together Dave -- now just to add a nice leader and a few standards (cutting out the paper ones included with the Perry boxes works pretty well and is easy enough so hope you can give that a try!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look closely, several of the units have people waving banner poles. While BI2 doesn't make use of commander bases, I plan to build one just for the look of the thing. Then, I am going to make up a batch of flags all at once and attach them, since it should make them all a bit more regular.

      Delete
  5. Great to see the army developing especially as I also like Impetus, although playing the Basic Impetus version. Hopefully my brother Matt will post some of his 100 Years Wars figures this Challenge, he is creating and converting from old GW plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work on these HYW types. Army lists are meant as a guide, not a fixed rule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great work, you are on a mission

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking HYW force! Maybe gripping beast dark age warriors mashed up with some of your Perry French for Bretons? Probably heresy but it works in my head! Perry mercenaries box mixes nicely with warlord landsknechts for the early 16th century I have found.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work on an intimidating period!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the coherent colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work on these medieval forces. Also cool to see them all ranked up.

    ReplyDelete