Thursday 30 December 2021

From SarahHC: My First Entry - Pilot Jenny of Sarah's Star Yacht (30 Points)


AHPC XII First Entry: Pilot Jenny

Hello Everybody, Sarah here!

I’m just going to jump right in and present my first entry into “The Challenge”.

Pilot Jenny is a Space Pioneers 3D print found on MyMiniFactory. Jenny is the pilot of Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht, and will be zipping throughout the quadrant picking-up and dropping-off passengers throughout the Challenge.

Star Yacht Customer Relations predicts that this year’s travel service will be the biggest & busiest yet. There is already a long queue, and more reservations are expected.

Pilot Jenny and Senior Flight Attendant Tamsin will need extra crew to stock the drinks trolley, organize the in-flight entertainment, and keep passenger shenanigan’s in check. Staffing requirements will be keeping my friendly purveyor of 3D printed figures busy!

Jenny is actually the second figure I have painted since the Challenge. The first, a sorceress (who will make an appearance later this challenge) was painted under Curt’s supervision, Jenny on the other hand was mostly left to me. 


Deciding to take up the Challenge is both exciting and intimidating. I neither draw/paint nor craft, so I find myself learning new skills … brush control is hard! What’s edge highlighting? Dry brush vs wet brush? Zenithal highlights!? So far I've had only one paint pot mis-hap, one broken drill bit, and some creative language from Curt (VERY creative language - ed.). 



Jenny’s lovely dark green utilitarian Space Suit is Citadel Contrast Warp Lightning with Leaf Green highlights, her armour panels (you to make it FASHIONABLE) was painted with Black Templar contrast paint with Vallejo’s metallic Steel on her mesh armour leggings and body armour. Her nifty data slate glows with an Ultra Blue Deep colour with ice white. Jenny’s combat boots have a very cool chrome trim, and her ‘lewk’ is completed with an edgy pink&purple hair-do.

I have a little painting area to call my own and have begun my Paint Journal chronicling my endeavours.


As Jenny is a 54mm figure she'll give me 10pts, plus another 20 points for Sarah's (!) Star Yacht.

So, this will also serve as 10 points towards my Chocolate Cake Duel with Natasha (first to reach 50 points!)

Next Port of Call is Solaris…

- Sarah


_________________________________

Lovely work on Pilot Jenny, Sarah! When you first described how you were going to paint her I knew you were subliminally channeling your reading of the Sharpe novels. Your choice of rifle green and black for her space suite is very on-point. :) I also like how you did her suit's metallic mesh panels, and think her rather lurid hair colour is suitably anime-adjacent for an edgy female space pilot. :)

I have to admit that I'm glad Tamsin will be taking over the helm for both Natasha and Sarah's entries going forward. I don't think I could take the strain of getting caught-up in the middle of scoring the results of The Chocolate Cake Duel (other than the obvious benefits of helping to eat it). This is going to be epic!

Sarah, welcome to the mosh pit of the Painting Challenge, I know you're going to have a blast!  

- Curt


50 comments:

  1. Another stellar first effort (ok first solo) Sarah. Lovely work on the metallic jump suit and her face. Your paint journal is waaay too organized for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter … Jenny was fun to paint!

      Delete
  2. Awesome work Sarah, and I love the green and it's shading. Excellent and very nice work, and a good colour choice for a beginning painter as blue and green are the easiest colours to blend well. Start easy, learn the basics, then move to pain in the ass colours like reds and yellows. Keep it up Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!
      Green is one of my favourite colours … getting to this green was five coats of Warp Lightning before the highlights and magical Nuln Oil

      Delete
  3. What a marvellous figure Sarah! I love the colours you chose and her boots are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is wonderful Sarah! What a great first entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work, Sarah! Green can be a difficult colour to highlight without it looking "minty" or "snotty" and you've succeeded in avoiding that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what the rules of your "Chocolate Cake challenge" are - hopefully it's for 50 points of figures, not including bonuses.

      Delete
    2. 50 points, straight up, no side-bonus funny business. :)

      Delete
    3. First to 50 points bakes a chocolate cake

      Delete
  6. Great work Sarah! Just remember, as soon as someone says “zenithal”, you can stop listening!

    Fantastic first entry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I had her put that in the post to wind you up. ;P

      Delete
    2. Thanks Greg!
      Miss you both 💜

      Delete
  7. Splendid looking space pilot, lovely work on the green jumpsuit, I do find the paint manual a little too intimitatingly organised though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The Paint Journal is a by-product of living with an Archivist …. documentation is everything! resistance is futile

      Delete
  8. If only my first (or 1000th) painted model looked that good. Excellent work Sarah, hopefully you can keep at it and one day surpass the tyrannical/beloved Snow Lord himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The Snowlord may regret letting me play in the hobby room :)

      Delete
  9. Really impressive first entry; wonderful painting. I expect keeping the drink trolley stocked may be the biggest challenge for the crew of the yacht (I'll have a Burnt Martini please...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the drinks trolley … precious cargo that, the Space Yacht will be looking for a suitable Crew member as a Barkeep/Bouncer in the Space Lounge🍹

      Delete
  10. That's superb Sarah, the blending on the green suit is so well done it doesn't look as if its painted. That really is impressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you … the green took some time, but I’m quite pleased with the results too!

      Delete
  11. Fantaastic work, love the colour scheme, shading, and well all of it

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fine entry and welcome to Challenge Sarah (at least to the participation side of it)! Lovely colors here and apparently it does help a lot, when you have a painting mentor, experienced mini photographer and archivist to help you through this madness - and creative language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely!
      And this Challenge has been a 12year long MasterClass in Minis!

      Delete
  13. Great first start Sarah. Nice choice of colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had a colour scheme idea and I’m thrilled that I pulled it off

      Delete
  14. Now that's a wonderful start to both your painting career and your first participation in the challenge mayhem. Really dig your choice of colours and am looking forward to future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I think I’ve read every Challenge post and comment over the past 11years … I’ve a lot of paint skillz information rattling around in my head … I’m excited to see what I come up with over the next couple of months

      Delete
  15. Super Joh Sarah, that green is amazing 👏 an excellent start to the Challenge 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a small panic attack when this post went live … so thank you for the compliments, 💚

      Delete
  16. Fantastic painting, especially for your first solo flight!

    Extra points for the paint journal. I keep intending to make one as I always forget my paint mixes when I come back to things, but I’m too disorganised….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m a list-maker, a detailed planner and also loves schedules however, I’m also easily distracted and forgetful.. the Paint Journal is a necessity!

      Delete
  17. A fantastic first entry - very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles,
      I’m having a lot of fun (& probably making Curt crazy)

      Delete
  18. Crikey, that's a cracking effort for a "beginner" Sarah. Love your colour choices, especially the streaks in her hair. I really should keep a journal too but I'm too lazy. Kudos to you for doing it from day one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Following this challenge has been a master class in paint technique. I’m excited to see what I can do

      Delete
  19. I agree with Millsy, I cannot believe this is just your second go! The choice of the scheme is important but executing it just the way it's in your head is something else all together and you've done it brilliantly for sure!

    Cheers Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sander!
      Thank you …. I’m sure that at some point I will want to just dip a figure in a solid colour paint and call it done :)

      Delete
  20. Thanks Sander
    I didn’t know how much I would enjoy seeing the colours and paint effects come ‘alive’ and turn the figure into a real character.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an amazing first (or second) effort! Pretty soon Curt will have to surrender the painting station and be on late night cappuccino duty! Wonderful job.
    Love to you both and Happy New Year!
    Douglas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Doug,
      You’re so right , Curt should assume the household barista duties, I’ve quite a crew coming off the printer and will be busy ….👩🏻‍🎨🎨

      Delete
    2. Now, that's just a bunch of crazytalk...

      Delete
  22. WOW! Mighty impressive painting there Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thanks Dallas …. I’m pretty pleased with the results. Stay tuned …

      Delete
  23. Brilliant SarahHC. You have nailed the jumpsuit! What an entry first too! Very much looking forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Painting Pilot Jenny was super fun, l am really pleased with the green jump suit… utilitarian but still “Make it FASHION”.

      Delete
  24. Lovely work! I keep painting notes on my phone, as well as inspiration photos etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Thus far, my paining journal is working well, but I had not thought how to organize inspo images …

      Delete