Thursday 30 December 2021

From TashaH: Wizards, Druids and Witches, Oh My! [Arda] (34 points)

Hello! My name is Natasha (TashaH) and I live in Saskatchewan, Canada.

I am incredibly new to this hobby. I played my first tabletop game (Eldritch Horror) in July of this year with Sarah and Curt and I was hooked. Since then, I've played Moonstone and a few ECW games from a campaign. I am looking forward to expanding my horizons and trying more scenarios in the future. 

I'm incredibly fortunate that the group I have been invited to game with is well established and puts on all the games. As such, you will see that my contributions to this year's Challenge have no rhyme or reason and are not tied to any game whatsoever.  At some point, I will settle in on a theme, or perhaps not! 

For my initial entry, of my first Challenge, I will be landing on the planet, Arda. I’m leaning toward the ‘fantasy’ admission requirement for this planet.

My first figures are prints from STL Miniatures at MyMiniFactory 

The majority of my paint is acrylics. I have a few Citadel Contrast paints and a couple pots of P3. I am hoping to add to my paint collection regularly!

I started with the Wizard's Bookcase in this grouping that I've put together. It is 80mm long, 50 mm tall and 10mm wide. Initially, I highlighted with two shades of grey and then utilized Snakebite Leather Contrast by Citadel. This proved to be an unfortunate decision. The wood did not look like wood at all. After many layers of many colours and washes ... this is the final result. All of the accessories in the bookcase were done willy nilly, with no real pattern or intent. I kept adding colours and layers until I was content with the result.





Next up was the Druid Table. I tried to remember the process I'd employed with the bookcase. My memory is unreliable at best (I really need to remember to write things down in the handy, dandy notebook I was given for such things). For the table, I used the Snakebite Leather Contrast midway through the process and it seemed to work much better for a rich wood look. Having only one brown Contrast makes a person get creative! Also, isn't that stool adorable? The table measures 30 mm across and 10mm to table top/27mm to very top. The stool measures a wee 10 mm across x 5mm high.





I really enjoyed pulling the details out of the book on the table. Note the mushrooms on the tabletop, they come into play next!





These are the Druid Mushrooms that are harvested on the Druid Table. The caps are painted using Contrast paint (such a delight to use). I used a metallic white for some of the highlighting to help boost the shimmer of the mushroom caps. I tried to mimic the same wood tones in the undergrowth as in the Table and Bookcase.  The mushrooms were great fun to paint and measure at 50mm x 35 mm.

Lastly we have a 40mm, Nana the Witch from Printed Obsession at My Mini Factory. This figure was a challenge for me. I almost gave up on her. After following some sage advice to walk away and come back another day, I was able to finish her. The number of layers of paint on this miniature is a bit embarrassing. 




Because I won't be using these for gaming, but rather as display pieces. they are freestanding and not based. 



Now for the points total. I'm really unsure about this, so chances are I'll mess it up! 

If I understand correctly, furniture counts the same as terrain. I anticipate if you packed in all the furniture like you were loading a U-Haul, it would fit a 2" square, so that would be 6.5 points. 7 points for Nana, and 20 points for the Arda (outer ring) landing bonus would give me a total of  33.5 points.

Thank you for letting me play!

(13.5 points towards the Chocolate Cake Duel with Sarah!)

__________________________

First, welcome to the Challenge, Natasha!

I quite like this entry, your opening gambit towards your target. This is especially the case as I helped source the models for you!  This is also the case with Sarah's upcoming entires as well. Yes, I am very much 'The Enabler' here. :)

While it is true that you currently have a limited collection of paints, I think you've done an absolutely wonderful job on these models. I particularly admire the wood grain on the furniture, the shiny (and mysterious) accoutrements on the tabletop, and the charming colours of the mushroom grove (the metallic hue of the spotted blue mushroom is particularly eye-catching). 

I'm going to round up your scoring to an even 14 points.

I know Sarah has her post waiting in the wings, so the battle for the chocolate cake should be a fierce one. :)

Terrific work Natasha!

- Curt


45 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Challenge Natasha, some great looking pieces for your first post. I really love that table with all the little cool details on, top marks 👍
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! These were quite fun to paint.

      Delete
  2. Welcome Tasha, this is a great 1st entry, love the bookcase and table. The best part of the challenge is that you get better and better. You obviously have the skills now you just need more paint:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin! More paint is definitely on my list when I venture to the city next.

      Delete
  3. Terrific first efforts Tasha. Really good effects on the furniture and shrooms. I chuckled when I read about the wash on the bookcase that didn’t work out and your comment about how many layers are on the witch! The haphazard approach on the bookshelf is the only way to go. I am sure that Curt has a precise organization for his bookshelf but the rest of us tend to put things where they’ll fit at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I think I have haphazard down to a science now ☺️

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the Challenge, Tasha! :D

    That's excellent work for your first time painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Curt! Quite literally, this wouldn’t have been possible without you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always delighted to introduce someone new to this wonderful hobby. I know you're going to have a great time with it!

      Delete
  6. Excellent work Natasha, I especially love all the details on the bookshelf and table. The little binding details and lines really bring that shelf to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Byron! I love books, so painting all the details on each book was my favourite part of the bookshelf.

      Delete
  7. Splendid first post! Love the bookshelves and table, it's quite nice to work with a limited pallet for a bit and add a little as you go along I find sometimes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will try to be more patient with my limited paint selection. Admittedly, I’m not a very patient person!

      Delete
  8. Great submission Natasha, and welcome to the Challenge. As you spend more time in the hobby, I suspect you will find none of us have much rhyme or reason for our projects…

    That book in particular looks amazing. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Greg! I’m discovering that rhyme and reason aren’t a requirement in this hobby - which suits me just fine!

      Delete
  9. Do you know of this trend “ Dark Academia” … these home furnishings would be trending right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Very good Sarah. You're absolutely right, they would be trending on some site called 'Witches & Warlocks Home Furnishings'. I'm going for the whole 'Dark Archivist' look myself.

      Delete
    2. Oh yes Sarah!! Some of that Dark Academia stuff is quite fantastic! There is quite a subculture happening!

      Delete
  10. Excellent work Natasha. The book case and the table look quite realistic, lots of small details in varying colours really help bring them to life.
    The witch came out looking good (for a wizened old crone) in the end. I'm sure you'll continue to improve with Curt to advise you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Stuart. I am very fortunate to have had an introductory lesson on the basics of painting from Curt. It was invaluable! I hope that he, Sarah and I will be able to arrange another when the weather is more agreeable!

      Delete
  11. That's lovely Natasha and has the look of antique furniture. That's more than impressive for a first attempt at painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done and welcome to the Challenge! I like all the details you have done and the wood looks good. Limited amount of paints is not necessarily a drawback, it helps to keep things coherent, which usually looks nice. Sometimes people get carried away and use all the paints they have and the outcome might be a bit restless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! You are quite right that limited paint helps keep things coherent! I tend to be one who likes to get carried away!

      Delete
  13. Now that's a cool entry . I love the bookcase . Doing things willy nilly is my style too. I shall look forward to seeing how the chocolate cake challenge progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave! I have a feeling our Chocolate Cake Challenge is going to be very close!

      Delete
  14. Welcome to the challenge Natasha! That's some excellent painting on display here! My favourite part is that freaky mushroom with the blue cap. You simply gotta love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The mushroom grove was so much fun to paint.

      Delete
  15. Excellent first entry! I still struggle with making wood effects look realistic and these are better than I usually manage, so colour me impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! These prints had wonderful details that made it a lot easier to make the wood grain stand out.

      Delete
  16. Welcome to the challenge! Your painting is top notch

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Miles! Everyone has been so kind and welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to the hobby Natasha, you've fallen in with the best of the best in Curt and Sarah. Absolutely awesome work on your first submission. The wood effect is spectacular, especially on the bookcase, it looks genuinely worn from long use. Good to see you persevere with your witch, it's the hardest thing to persist with something meant to be fun when it isn't working. If I may suggest print another one and paint it in a couple of years from now to show yourself how much you've learned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millsy! You are so right, I’m very fortunate to have fallen in with Curt and Sarah :)
      Your suggestion to print another witch is a great one. I will do that, as soon as my resin is delivered, and tuck her away for safe keeping.

      Delete
  19. Hoi Natasha, that's one heck of a first entry for sure! Many grognards will be very jealous for the quality of your output! I really like the ageing of the furniture you've painted here.

    Keep those gems coming please!

    Cheers Sander

    @Curt: stop showing off "Mister Enabler" indeed... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind Sander! I am very much enjoying this new creative outlet and can’t wait to get started on my next mini!

      Delete
  20. Nice work Natasha! Love that furniture!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully done "dungeon" type scatter. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a lot of fun to paint.

      Delete
  22. Great entry. I think your wood furniture looks very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really enjoyed painting furniture. I’ve refinished some antiques in the past, so I’ve seen a bit of wear and tear!

      Delete
  23. Wonderful work -- I especially love the contrast in finished between the shiny (tankards, mushrooms) and matte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! I love shiny things - it could prove to be a problem :)

      Delete