Tuesday 21 December 2021

From DaveS - Clan Heavy Battle Star - Klendathu 70pts

My first post of what I think is my 4th Challenge.  And the earliest I have ever got an entry in.  Due to me being isolated at home because of a mild case of Covid, I expect to get some brush time over at least the next few days.  I definitely wasn't sitting up waiting for the challenge to start so I could crack on with these.  Honest.

Battletech has always been a game that I have longed for, ever since I first saw it in Dragon magazine in the early 90's.  I've played it in just about every form I can think of, from the initial copy of Citytech I found at a boot sale in my teenage years (along with the Ghostbusters RPG, the very first edition of Bloodbowl and Star Frontiers), various computer games, the MegaMek online campaign, and the short lived CCG.  So when it was rereleased a few years ago, I was over the moon.

I have painted the last of the models that were sat on my desk from the Clan Invasion Kickstarter.  This is a "Clan Heavy Battle Star", and they are painted up in the colours of the Beta Galaxy Smoke Jaguars.  These were famously part of the battle of Tukkyaid which ended the clan invasion of the inner spehre.  Where they turned up, landed in a swamp, went the wrong way, and got ambushed and destroyed.  Seems to fit the Klendathu "Invasion Gone Bad" criteria as far as I am concerned.

These are also notable as the first models that I have painted since I finally got the hang of my airbrush.  I've had it for nearly 4 years, but never really got the hang of cleaning it, making using it an exercise in frustration.  Fortunately, I have discovered a spray airbrush cleaner, and now have a routine where I can quickly get it cleaned and running perfectly.  This was used to apply the undercoat to the models.

"Beta paints its ‘Mechs in a multilayered grey camouflage consisting of horizontal streaks, meant to represent a mist. Bloodnamed warriors paint large felid eyes on the torso of their ‘Mechs, and may even add other felid features as well. Kills are marked by smaller pairs of eyes placed randomly on the ‘Mech, though some warriors have taken to placing them near the weapons which delivered the final blow. The Elementals of Beta Galaxy have been seen in both this scheme and the traditional jaguar spot camo."

 I've chosen to forgo the eyes for now.  I have decided that these mechs will "earn" them when they get kills on the tabletop, starting with the main pair, and then adding them over the course of the campaign.





In terms of scoring, these are Between 50 and 60mm high.  I think based on previous scoring of mechs from other challenges, that these should count as

5x54mm = 50

Klendathu Challenge = 20


For 70 points total.

___________________________________________

First, I hope you recover quickly, Dave - this is the world we live in now, and we all have to take care of ourselves and one another.

Great work on being so early off the mark!  I have fond memories of the first edition of Battletech as well and was delighted to see it re-released recently. These mechs look terrific, with your airbrush giving you good service with the mottled streaking and smooth colour application. From reading your enthusiastic description of both the models and the setting, I expect their eyes will be added sooner rather than later. :) 

- Curt

22 comments:

  1. Thanks Curt. One of the things I love about battletech is that the most recent game I am playing now, is, rules wise, basically the same game as I played back in the 90's. A few quality of life tweaks, but otherwise it's identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to give it a go with an experienced player as it looks like it would be a lot of fun. A bunch of us played the MechForce game on the Amiga and loved it. It was a complete rip of the wargame, with hexes and incremental movement - a total hoot to play.

      What are you using for your spray airbrush cleaner?

      Delete
  2. Splendid looking mechs,no idea what they are, the game entirely passed me by but lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on these, get well soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great, Dave. I enjoyed reading about them in your post. I played a couple of games of Battletech many years ago. I too have an airbrush that has been sitting waiting for me to make use of, I really need to give it a try this challenge. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get well soon!
    The mechs look great. I keep looking at getting into it, but get put off by a lack of local players

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not into mechs, but I do know when I see prettily painted minis. Great start for the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on the mechs, Dave! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking mechs Dave. Look after yourself and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I’ve also got myself an airbrush recently but still feel intimidated… Anyway, you’re off to a great start and I hope you’ll recover soon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very tidy work on these grim and utilitarian mechs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking mecha, they are great models to paint

    ReplyDelete
  12. My airbrush adventures have been similarly challenging, but you've clearly crossed the Rubicon with these Dave! Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great start Dave! Hopefully the COVID doesn't develop into anything serious and proves just a nice extra painting break!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang Dave, you a CBT player as well? I should have called you out in a Batchall to paint as many Mechs as possible and you being a fellow Clanner at that! My Jade Falcons stand ready to defeat you in a circle of equals mate ;-)

    Cheers Star Colonel Sander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sander, I'm afraid that the Clan is my "painting for the group" faction. Cut me in half and I'm Liao Green through and through. Besides, the challenge isn't "painting" the mechs at the moment it's "sourcing" the mechs.

      Delete
  15. Fantastic looking Smoke Jaguars. Hopefully they can earn their eyes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could see myself doing some mechs…

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done getting out of the gate. Your mechs look unpleasant, but in a good way. Hope you’re fully recovered soon. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely stuff. I've just got hold of these very mechs as part of the second wave of figure releases, and will be using your pics as reference for some of the details on them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always a game I wanted to get into, and almost bought a set similar to this a little bit ago! The do look wonderful. That is a striking camouflage and the spot colors are terrific. Get well soon,Dave!

    ReplyDelete