Saturday 29 January 2022

From Curt: 'A long time ago in a fantasy far, far away...' (Corsucant and Sarah's Yacht to finish in Cybertron) (126 Points)

Hi All,

I've landed on Corsucant and thought that I'd try for something close to home for the planet's theme of 'Imperial / Good vs Evil'.

I've been a big Star Wars nerd ever since seeing the first movie as a kid in '77.  So when I discovered that my friend Kawe over at Westfalia Miniatures/One Gold Piece had done a brilliant range of fantasy not-Star Wars minis I knew I had to give them a go.

First up are our doughty heroes. These seven adventurers will be very recognizable as: The Apprentice, The Princess, The Old Master, The Smuggler, The Bugbear, The Butler Construct and the Trashcan Construct. 



Then we have our iconic arch villains, with The Liche Lord and his Honour Guard, and the terrifying Death Knight.




I actually had a print fail on the Death Knight where his sword didn't properly resolve. So I replaced it with some plasticard, doing a sort of anime thing with the shape of the blade. It's a bit of a bodge but I actually don't mind it.


The other fun thing about these being 3d prints is that it allowed me to scale up the Death Knight to be a little more imposing.  David Prowse would be pleased.

As to points, most of these models are 28mm, but The Death Knight, Bugbear and Liche Lorde are well over 40mm, so let's say 66 base points. The Corsucant location will give me another 20, and I'm going to be a clever lad and use The Princess for Sarah's Star Yacht to drop me into Cybertron, where I can use the two constructs for the Robot theme. So all this will give me a total of 60 bonus points for a grand total of 126. 

This will also give me another Squirrel point (my 6th)

There are 5 skulls tucked away in there with the baddies.

I will fill in 'N' for 'Not Star Wars' for my Alphabet Soup challenge.


Thanks for dropping in for a look! 

- Curt

From Millsy:

Oh my. How cool are these Curt?!?! This may well be the thing that finally flips my Star Wars switch from 'meh' to 'yeah'! Maybe. :-P

The deep rich red of the Honor Guard has a distinct Inquisition vibe about it and these feel far more scary than the movie version henchgoons. I can see myself using these as cultist/harem guards or something of that nature. The Death Knight's sword is an amazing piece of brushwork too and I would love to know how you achieved that effect on the edge. I absolutely love all of these.

I naturally gravitate to the bad guys in almost all sci-fi and these are no different but there are definitely elements of the good guys that resonate for me. The subtle Disney Beauty and the Beast homage is just brilliant (or is that just me?) and The Butler Construct is particularly good. I love that you've kept one leg a different colour too.

Well done working the Challenge Quadrant to get yourself a tidy bonus on top of the minis themselves mate. 126 points it is!

36 comments:

  1. Awesome not star wars figures, to be honest I prefer them, so go ahead and burn me! The finish is fantastic as always of course!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome set of figures, Curt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work - these figures really 'pop'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, they lend themselves to punchy colours for sure.

      Delete
  4. Not sure I can conjure up enough adequate superlatives- those are just stunning, just utterly awesomely fantastically stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you Kerry. I'm delighted you like them.

      Delete
  5. They are excellent figures Curt. Love the not C3P0 and R2D2 figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those are my favourites as well.

      Delete
  6. Fantastic collection of miniatures. Well done Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s quite fun. I would like to see some stormtroopers next!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As we say in blighty. These are the dogs bollocks. Awesome and super cool, in english

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That's high (or low?) praise indeed! Thank you Martin.

      Delete
  9. Interesting miniatures, especially the constructs. Your painting job does them justice, good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are wonderful! R2D2 and C3P0 were always my favourite and here is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha. Yes, they're my favourites as well. So iconic and fun.

      Delete
  11. Really cool figures and fantastic paintwork. Really love the Lumiere CP30.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes, the candelabra clinched it for me.

      Delete
  12. Lovely minis beautifully painted. +1 to Martin's comment regarding canine parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very creative idea and you painted them up beautifully Curt!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  14. Millsy, thank you for the kind words. The Death Knight's sword was done using mostly Colourshift paints from Greenstuff World. I first coated the blade with Val. Gloss Black. Then I coated it with Darth Blue, leaving just the edges the gloss black base. I then edge speckled the edge and fuller with successive layers of Red Goblin and Burning Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing brushwork as ever dude, great stuff. I particularly love the red on the guards, really well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! I found that red recipe from some uber painter on Instagram. Mostly all browns, which gives it a real rich tone.

      Delete
  16. These are rad! Fabulous work my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing work Curt! I never realized Westfalia did a range like this as well! Great sculpts!

    ReplyDelete