Saturday 29 January 2022

From ForestP: 15mm Alamo (yes, the whole thing) [Arrakis] (480 points)

So, after my last post I decided to dive headfirst into a Warp Maelstrom and humbly asked Millsy to give me a challenge. He sent me to Arrakis... the desert world, vast and deadly. In the immortal words of Frank Herbert, "You never talk of likelihoods on Arrakis, you only speak of possibilities." So, of course I needed to do something to match this sandy and lofty challenge, but what? 

"Remember the Alamo."

Oh yeah, I have one of those! Purchased nearly a year ago from Old Glory Miniatures and languishing on my "to do" shelf.

It's... a lot.

Why languishing you say? Well, the whole thing, when put together is 40" x 58" (see below). Even when piled up, and not laid out in it's proper configuration, it fills a 44" x 18" shelf. Most of the buildings and walls are 2.5" tall, but the largest piece, the Church is 3.75" tall. Doing some math the whole thing in component parts would fit in 22 6" cubes... 

In all it's glory.

I started out laying it out as you see above, just to see what I am getting myself into. Next I used a Dremel to grind out windows and doors/entrances that should be open, and made some minor repairs to cracked pieces.

This is going to be fun to paint.

You know, one good thing about the pandemic is that I now have plenty of disposable masks laying around that I can use when grinding resin. Nasty stuff, but oddly enough has a rather sweet, almost apple-like smell when grinding. How odd. Once I was satisfied with opening up the windows, doors, and other entrances that I wanted I gave everything a quick bath to clean up resin dust and mold release agents. No pictures here; too wet.

The next couple nights, and a few early mornings before work, I ended up priming ever piece in Krylon Colormaxx Paint+Primer Matte Sand Dollar (5600). I went through an entire can of primer, plus part of another before I was finished with the job. There are a few spots that only got a light coat, but I figure they will look just fine once I started with the dry-brushing.

The whole jobber primed up. What a beast!!!

Since I had much of Thursday devoted to, yet again, another online training where I primarily just had to listen, I decided to go ahead and start on the dry-brushing. I am using both George Nelson's "The Alamo: An Illustrated History", as well as my own photographs from visiting the Alamo multiple times during my many TDY's to Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio.

The first step was tackling the church interior, going from the lightest-to-darkest. The interior walls were slathered on with Folk Art Vintage White (4646), and the areas of rubble also got a light dry-brush coat of the same color. The wooden ramp was painted/dry-brushed with Apple Barrel Brown Oxide (20511), and more of the same color was lightly brushed onto the rubble to provide more depth and variety. The exterior brick was all dry-brushed with Folk Art Linen (879). The marble columns and sculpture at the front of the church were also brushed in the same Folk Art Vintage White as above. I finished up the rubble with a very light dry brush mix of 2:1 Folk Art Vintage White and Pure Black (2957CA/4656). The last bits were dry-brushing the wooden door with the Apple Barrel Brown Oxide, and highlighting over that with a bit of the Folk Art Linen mixed 1:1 with the Vintage White, painting the bricked over windows with Vintage White, and finally the sand bags with a 1:1 mix of Folk Art Linen and Vintage White (then hitting them with the lightest dry brush of 1:1 Folk Art Vintage White to make them pop).

That looks like it was properly weathered in the desert if I don't say so myself.

Great detail, even on the interior of the model.

This piece me a whole night to paint, it's so large.

Saturday was the main day for painting for me. After fortifying myself with coffee I decided to simply work around the Alamo and just knock out as much as I could. Wooden parts, like the artillery battery positions were dry-brushed with more Apple Barrel Brown Oxide, then given a light wash of Vallejo Sepia Shade (73.200) before being highlighted with a 2:1 mix of Brown Oxide and Folk Art Camel (953). Areas of exterior brick were still dry-brushed with Folk Art Linen, with plaster being painted with a 1:1 of Linen and Vintage White. Thatched roofs were brushed with Folk Art Camel, and given a Sepia Shade wash to give depth, and then a Linen highlight. Areas of rubble were dry-brushed with a mix of any of the aforementioned colors, or mixes thereof, to give depth and an interesting visual look to each.

Here are a few simpler pieces to give you an idea of detail.

Interior view of the kitchens. Man, these models really have great detail.

Main gate with the roof on.



The Trevino House.

And here is the entire thing in al its glory! Took me about a week and a couple days of working every night, plus all day on an entire weekend to knock it out. I think I'm done with terrain/scenics for a while...

View from the South.

View from the West.

View from the North. Note, the model comes with the northeast corner before it was breached.

View from the East.

The entire piece did come with two small scenic pieces in metal/wood, the well, and the rubble and flagpole. 
Well with 15mm figures to give a scale reference.

Same with the flagpole.

I love the fact that one of the details were the outside latrines!

Soldiers got to poop!

This is a great model. My only gripe is the some of the buildings don't quite like up like the should. If you see in the above overall images the long barracks don't quite line up all the way. It's fixable with how I've laid things out, but still annoying. Other than that, a great bit of kit.

In summation, my points estimation is as follows:

22 x 6" cubes @ 20 = 440 points

Arrakis (Middle Ring via Warp Maelstrom) = 30 points

From Millsy: Monster crafting bonus: 10 points

Total = 480 points

Until next time, folks. Where I'll be painting something... smaller. 

Forest

From Millsy:

I'm kind of lost for superlatives here to be honest Forest. When you told me what you were up to I knew it was going to be worth waiting for, but even then I wasn't prepared for what you've delivered. This is something else mate. This would have to be right up there with one of the largest terrain submissions we've ever had.

Never mind the size of the thing, the level of care and attention to detail you've thrown on top is wonderful. The stonework on the church, the weathering on the walls and thatch, even just the consistency of the finish across such a big piece is brilliant. It would be a privilege to game on a table graced by your Alamo and no mistake.

Cracking effort Forest. Worth absolutely every minute you invested. BOOM! 480 points!

40 comments:

  1. Superb work -- even the interior details as well, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the fact that this model has such nice interiors. Makes this really useful for gaming.

      Delete
  2. This is incredible, wver since picking up the Warhammer old west rules I've thought this would be a great table set up. You've done a sterling job on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! It's a great setup, and could certainly be used for some Wild West games set in the decades post-battle. You could even just use the constituent parts in your layouts.

      Delete
  3. This looks like a project well worth following: your WIP shots and story are awesome and the painting is top notch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try to keep up the quality going forward.

      Delete
  4. Great job Forrest - it looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! It does look pretty great on the table.

      Delete
  5. Spectacular, really impressed how you have pulled this one together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martin! It was a lot of work, but worth it!

      Delete
  6. Words fail me. Well, almost. That is a superb set of terrain, Forest! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tamsin! Your crashed spaceship terrain piece is just as amazing!!!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Christopher! Old Glory does a great job. They have it in 28mm too.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, Natasha! It looks really great laid out on the table. I can't wait to run a game!

      Delete
  9. Awesome! That looks like a fantastic piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm exhausted and I only had to read your story and look at the pictures! Well done and congratulations on keeping the focus for so long on a single "item".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teemu, it was an exhausting, but worthwhile, project. As I mentioned in another comment my painting hand hurt so much after this that I've take a whole week off. I'll get something painted for this upcoming Saturday though!

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Peter, that's pretty much how I felt when it was done!

      Delete
  12. Love it! Thanks for putting in the book reference too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve! It's a great book as reference. It even gives images of the Alamo from different time periods if you wanted to model it from earlier in history.

      Delete
  13. Hi Forest:
    When you see a great model like that, you hope it gets the owner and the brushwork it deserves. You did an amazing job, bravo. Like you I’m a fan of FolkArt paints for big jobs like that.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike! I too find craft paints to be perfect for big jobs like this. I think they're amazing for dry brushing. Where did you retire out of by the way?

      Delete
  14. Awesome looking Alamo,it looks great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic work! I'm so impressed by eth scale of this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a BEAST to paint. My painting hurt so much after the marathons I put into this that I've take a whole week off of painting. Worth it though!

      Delete