Saturday 29 January 2022

From PeterB: Aliens and Daemons [LV926 to Arrakis] (252 points)

At some point during lockdown when I was going stir crazy (I don't know what month or year it was, it has all blurred in to one mush of working from home and constant handwashing) I, along with most of the hobby, decided I needed to drastically increase my lead pile. I didn't really even have much more spare time to paint it all, my job actually got busier as it involved supporting a massive workforce suddenly working from home that didn't have experience of doing so until this point.

I had previously had great results painting some of the Frostgrave plastic sets from Northstar and so when they announced a Kickstarter (or Nickstarter as they called it) for a new range of plastics for the new Stargrave rules, I decided to go all in and buy the full set, a box of crew, mercenaries and troopers. 

This meant then that in the bundle was also included some bonus metal figures (the first one a female pilot I painted up last week, see here.) So, for my trip to LV926 may I present to you a bevy of aliens and spacecraft crew.

I didn't mean it but the chap on the right has a real Dr Doom vibe.

The chap on the left has a real Peter Cushing look to him.


After this I will be jetting off to Arrakis with a Machiavellian theme. Well, what could be more Machiavellian than the Changer of Ways, the Architect of Fate, the Chaos God of change, intrigue and sorcery, Tzeentch. So, in 6mm scale may I present Magnus the Red, Daemon Primarch of Tzeentch.


I decided to paint him up in as close the the classic GW colour scheme as I could find. I also painted some Steeds of Slaanesh as well.


That then completes the Epic Chaos army that has been floating around in my to do pile for a good couple of years now.

The extra daemon princes were painted pre-challenge.

Talking of finishing armies I have also painted up some more halflings for a Dragon Rampant army. Firstly a dozen from Wargames Atlantic armed with  spears and halberds.

Then another dozen from Mantic games also armed with spears.


Finally I had a few Mantic left over, armed with hand weapons and rifles.

This then completes another army. My son has been desperate to play a battle of goblins versus halflings after I read The Hobbit to him (I suspect he will now demand I paint up some dwarfs too as well.)

The archers and characters were painted pre-challenge.

I'm tempted to look out for some kind of heroic looking halfling on a pony or similar steed as an army commander though, just to really out the proverbial cherry on top. Suggestions on a postcard to.. 

 And now to the points.

  • 7 x 28mm scale Stargrave miniatures = 35 points
  • 1 x 6mm scale Daemon Primarch (equivalent height of a 28mm figure)  = 5 points
  • 12 x 6mm scale Steeds of Slaanesh = 12 points
  • 32 x 28mm scale halflings = 160 points 
  • 2 x planet bonuses = 40 points

Total points =  252 points

Which definitely takes me over my points target and into the Inner ring. There is however, more to come...

From Millsy:

WOW! What a collection. There's something for everyone in here Peter!

There's loads to love about this post mate but for me the pick of the bunch is the Chaos stuff and the Daemon Primarch of Tzeentch in particular. I'm more of a devotee of Nurgle myself but Slaanesh tempts me often (some would say that's what's meant to happen!) and this isn't helping!

I like you Wargames Atlantic hobbits too. Very nice indeed. I've nearly picked them up a few times now but not being able to build them all as one troop type always puts me off.

252 smackers added to your tally. Well done!

13 comments:

  1. Great work, Peter, but I'm sure you meant planet LV426 not LV926! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dagnammit, there's always something isn't there. I blame auto correct ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great looking aliens, daemons and I do like the halflings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been indifferent to the Stargrave models but I really like your metal ones; I may pick some up for my 5 Parsecs From Home campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is one of the advantages of metal of the plastic kits, you can get some really nice dynamic looking models. The plastics are all stuck in specific poses.

      Delete
  4. Lots of goodness here, Stargrave my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an absolute whopper of a pointsbomb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have enthusiastically started at a pace I can't keep up. Expect the the rest of the challenge to be 20 point posts. ;-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. I hold you responsible for making me paint so much for being the first person to tell me about this challenge. ;-)

      Delete
  7. The Stargrave is fun, but the Epic daemons are a hit as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Peter:
    Great collection, I especially like the wee winged demon. The best part of this post is your reading the Hobbit to your son and him wanting to play with you. Way to go Dad.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete