Thursday 13 January 2022

From GeoffreyT: Silver Bayonet Spaniards (40 points)

On to less loquacious things (I think).  The Silver Bayonet Spaniards.  There probably is a friendship story in these too...  In 2000 I moved to a remote mine-site in Arnhem land in the Norther Territory (Australia).  I was not expecting any tabletop gaming so I went armed only with a console game.  

I did as the locals did up there, fishing, golfing, footy, shooting and of course drinking.  

I befriended a colleague and we went halves in an old aluminium fishing boat (a tinny in colloquial terms).  We had a number of adventures in the boat, including breaking down and being rescued, but we were no fishermen.  One day whilst throwing our tackle into the pristine mangroves whilst attempting to simulate barramundi fishing, we got to discussing other matters.  He mentioned his interest in wargaming, and immediately I mentioned mine.  So soon enough we broke our gear out from storage and got underway.  

After 5 years or so we moved back to the big smoke to work where we joined clubs and became integrated into the local gaming community.  We still game together about fortnightly, and mostly enjoy campaigns.

Recently we have done several campaigns in both Chain of Command and Frostgrave.  We really enjoyed Studio Tomahawk's "Mungo Mah Lobeh" campaign for Congo, and I cannot recommend it enough.

As soon as we saw The Silver Bayonet, we both dived in head first, and here is my Spanish.


The eagle eyed amongst you may have seen these lurking in the background of other photos half complete.


Again I am really happy with the white.  It is GW contrast white, then layer painted with GF9 gelatinous blue (not very blue) to remove the blotchiness off the flat areas and a final highlight layer of Vallejo titanium white.

Close up of glorious white.  I did the piping on the officer in yellow.  It was blue in the irreproducible paint work of Kev Dallimore on the flyer.   I was unable to find my copy of the Osprey book on "Uniforms of the Spanish Vampire Hunters of the Peninsular War" so could not validate the colour.  I'm sure it is here somewhere.


The swordsman is my favourite.  I really like his hat.  If one is going to fight a war by standing in line shooting at close range, with only rudimentary medical help and no food, then one must be compensated by having a nice hat.  


Thats me for this week.

8 x 28mm scale miniatures = 40 points

A squirrel for 28mm Napoleonics. (my 3rd, Pulp, Fantasy and Napoleonics all in 28mm)

In the alphabet soup challenge, N is for Napoleonics.  I better tally these letters up soon, as I am losing track of which ones I have bagged.

Kind Regards

Geoff

These were amalgamated with Geoff's Asterix entry, but I thought they deserved to be split up and appreciated separately. Your whites are great, and I'm sure they all match the Osprey colour plates!

Barks

12 comments:

  1. Geoff. Excellent work. I’ve done the British and Spanish. Working on the French. Great figures to paint your whites are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing forges a friendship like being stranded on a boat together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful group, I like the strong whites and reds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite is the Monk .... great painting and excellent squirrel point entry.

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic work Geoff, you’ve nailed the colours, especially the whites and browns, and I really like the grizzled cleric/ monk. It is of course a fabulous hat. Maybe you need to write that Osprey book! Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super job Geoff, perfect for any Napoleonic Skirmish Game

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Graet - a really good advert for North Star!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Geoffrey! I've actually got the same models on my painting desk just now! Hoping to get them done during this week!

    ReplyDelete