Thursday 13 January 2022

From JezT: Italian Wars Pike 28mm (111 points)

 Dear All 

Hi everyone as first post of this challenge will give a brief intro. 

Jez Todd - a UK wargamer based in Kenilworth near Coventry. Mainly play ancients 28mm games using the Basic Impetus rule set, and my main opponent is my brother Matt - also in the challenge. Have really enjoyed the challenge for a few years now and it is great motivation for me to blast through some painting and then I tend to relax and play games for the rest of the year. 

Anyway starting with a pike block and looks like Italian Wars pike are already very popular. In Basic Impetus I have a number of Italian Wars armies and can replay Fornova 1495 the French v Italian coalition clash. I already had some elements for a straight Venetian army but lacked a dedicated Venetian pike block - now sorted!

I went with Old Glory Landsknechts as I had some figures already and painted these in a uniform red and white scheme. To these I then added some new figures bought from Redoubt - you can buy these as single figure and I especially wanted these to add a bit more "personality" to the finished block and make it stand out as more Italian.  

Old Glory but figure front left is odd TAG figure


  

Redoubt and flag is from Pete's Flags


Next a few photos after basing for Impetus and have 12 figures on front base and 10 on rear base.

 
Tried to hand paint Venetian lion on shield - think this is old GW figure converted








Points wise for 22 figures - make this 110 points. Also as am going for some "Squirrel action" this challenge I get the first point for this. Hopefully will be able to later paint some Redoubt new cavalry I bought. Think first though will do some smaller entries in other periods to get some extra Squirrel points. 

Cheers Jez  

Welcome back, Jez. Your colour scheme works really nicely on these figures and I hope to see your cavalry in the future. I've given a bonus point for your Venetian lion freehand.

Barks

15 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Jez - nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back. Lovely Italian wars pike. Great red and white pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stuff Jez, that little lion came out very well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love me some pike and these do very well indeed. Great work Jez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Jez! Really good looking and bright white and red theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent brushwork Jez, I painted hordes of these Old Glory figures years ago. They're great figures to paint up and have a lot of character. Also very muscular calfs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Jez. Impetus always tempts me, but other distractions prevail - plus, I can just enjoy it vicariously through the efforts of Challengers like you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work on the hand-painted Venetian lion!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work, very effective all together

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pike blog, the red colour scheme gives it tons of character and the flags are ace. Well done.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. Splendid looking pike block,lovely work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look great. I better pull my finger out. Matt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to see you getting off the mark Jez, lovely spot of Italian Wars to get you off the mark 😀

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete