Thursday 13 January 2022

From DaveS: Heavy Metal (25 points)

Having finished the Hundred Years War French, and while waiting for the bases for the next project to arrive (preparedness is for other people), I decided to pull some more Battletech models from the pile.

I have been building up a Capellan force, using the newly released Catalyst Games lance packs.  I've shown some of those already.  In the background, one of the developments that the Capellans make, is to start to deploy reinforced units, consisting of 4 mechs with 2 supporting vehicles.

With all of my Battletech stuff, I have used the rules to almost roleplay my collection.  This means that while my Mechs are chosen based on what comes in the Lance packs, things like the quality of the pilots, and support vehicles have been randomly selected.  This means, that having rolled them on the appropriate tables, I added them to the lances.

First up, we have the vehicles supporting my recon lance.  This consisted of a pair of Pegasus Scout Hovercraft.  In game, these are at the heavily armed end of light hovercraft, and fortunately fit with the slightly slower, better armed scout lance that I already have.


Next, we have a pair of Long Range Missile Carriers.  These are incredibly slow, and lightly armoured, but pack an huge number of missiles, with some of the longest ranges in the game, and can be fired indirectly.  These support my fire support lance


Supporting my Assault lance, are a pair of Short Range Missile Carriers.  These are basically the same vehicle as the LRM carrier in game, but with shorter missiles.  In Battletech, SRM's are excellent at causing critical hits, and the 10 of them (60 missiles) that each of these carries is excellent for crippling mechs that have had their armour stripped by the Assault lance.  Their slow speed doesn't really hinder them, since they can keep up with the slow Assault Lance


At the heavy end of the range, we have a pair of Demolishers  These are absolute beasts, and HUGE as well.  They will support the command lance.



Finally, we have a pait of Condor Heavy Hover Tanks.  These support the Light Battle Lance that I have, and provide a nice mix of mobility and firepower.


Finally a group shot, showing all of the vehicles together.



These are apparently 8mm scale, which doesn't appear on the points.  I've scored them as 6mm vehicles, although they are quite large for this.

This gives me 10x6mm vehicles for 20pts.


This is a good coherent unit of hard sci-fi armour. I like the asymmetrical turret on the LRMCs, and the Demolishers look cool. I like the mix of tracked and hover. I'm going to award 2.5 points each here, as 6mm and 10mm vehicles are 2 and 3 points respectively.

Barks

15 comments: