Thursday 13 January 2022

From GeoffreyT: Obelix and Co (Noel's Comet)(46 points)

Hello Challengers,

The warp maelstrom deposited me adjacent to Noel's comet.  I took some time pondering a suitable topic for this locale, and have decided to wind back to Tasmania in the 1970's where I was born and bred.  

When I was a young boy, my mother met an elderly lady whilst out dog walking, and our families soon became friends.   She was a long term resident of the area, and she took us walking to some local places we had not seen and which were quite beautiful.  Waterfalls and a penguin rookery to name a few.

Her, her husband and I were all avid fans of Asterix books.  They had every book, whereas I had merely a few.  I was allowed to borrow their books, I would present to her husband in his study and request which one I would like to borrow and by when I would return it.  As the collection was their pride and joy, they were very valued.  I could only borrow one at a time and must return it by a specific date, and I was to look after most carefully, all of which I did.  Once acquired, I would take it home and consume it cover to cover multiple times.  I loved the art, the names, the stories and the history in the books and I could never get enough.

On occasion I was also the beneficiary of chocolates.  Each week the venerable couple would purchase a block of chocolate which had five different soft centre fruit flavours.  Each of them chose two flavours and the fifth unwanted flavour (strawberry) was stored in bags for visiting children such as myself.

As I grew older, they also grew older.  In their latter years I would mow their lawn, prune their trees and chop their wood which they could not do.  The old dears would wish to pay me a token amount which I was embarrassed to take.

Whenever I see the Asterix books in a shop, I instinctively look through the display in case there is one I have not read yet (but of course there is not).  It always brings me back memories of the couple and the places we went and our common interest in these amazing books.

A few years back I acquired a few of the old metal Asterix miniatures from a friend who got them from e-bay.  They were originally produced in the 1980's, but I'm sure the ones I have are recasts, as they have tell-tale bubbles from drop casting, and were pretty rough and took a bit of filling and filing to prepare.  Nevertheless here they are painted up for the challenge.

Unhygienix, Obelix and Fulliautomatix, and of course Dogmatix.   These guys are about 25mm scale.

I kept the shading to a minimum, just using two tones with a clear delineation in shades.  I also added some black lining where it suited.  I did this to try and keep the models colour and style as similar as I could to the original art of Albert Uderzo.


The faces were particularly challenging, and I don't think I really captured them on Unhygienix and Fulliautomatix, but I am pretty happy with how Obelix came out.  Uderzo often did not always draw in the eyes, they were often closed.  The expression drawn simply with a line on their eye brows and lids.  Probably should add Dogmatix's eyebrows, but only noticed they were missing after I took the photos.

Obelix has some small fish in his hand and on his helmet, which are a bit indistinct in the cast, luckily I know the books well and can add the detail in my mind.

Well, that's my story.  I don't know what loquacious means, hopefully it has met that requirement.


3 x 28mm scale miniatures = 15 points
+30 point bonus for arriving at Noel's Comet by warp maelstrom for a Thursday total of 45 points.

Alphabet soup challenge: O is for Obelix

Kind Regards

Geoff

Geoff, I've taken the liberty of splitting your post in twain to allow each magnificent entry room to breathe- I don't know if this benefits your squirrel! Your tale of friendship for Noel's Comet really hit the spot. I had about five Asterix books myself, and would often find myself in the library borrowing ones I hadn't read and waiting for others to be returned. The puntastic names still hold up. Your bright style works so well here, and matches the Uderzo originals. I do so hope your figures get to take part in games against the occupying Romans! And I've given a bonus point for Dogmatix.

Barks

21 comments:

  1. Nice work on these three figures, Geoff, and a great tale of your friendship with the old couple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My only problem I have with this painting challenge is the list of models you are all painting that are slowly being added to my own wish list of future projects (thus my lead pile is never in danger of decreasing). These look great, you've done an excellent job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a well know hazard of the challenge :)

      Delete
  3. The minis are maybe bit crude, but nice, comic book style painting on them. I have pretty much all the Asterix books as well (the old ones, not the new ones). In the past, when travelling to different country was something we could easily do, I often bought myself a souvenir, Asterix book in local language. I have read them all, even though I don't understand the language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing such a lovely and evocative story. The figures are great, and a fitting tribute to your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story and great work on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your take on these 3! Like straight from the pages of the comics

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely.
    I picked some of these up all the way from NZ a few years ago and think they were recasts too.
    Now in the days of 3D printing I am sure we can get much better ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely figures and painting and an equally lovely story, I was also a big fan growing up, so much so I got the oompa pa books as well!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a fabulous entry, one of my favorites of this year. The minis are wonderful and so evocative of the books, but I have to say the 'hook' was your description of your relationship with this neighborly couple. Very moving and wonderful. Thanks for this Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Asterix and Obelix and you did a fantastic job! ian lovecraft made 3d print versions in a kickstarter earlier this year I'm hoping to try out in the future, hope they turn out even half as nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely!
    My mother was a French Teacher, and growing up we had a lot of of the Asterix&Obelix books in both French and English … the idea being that having the same book in two languages would help my brothers and I learn French. Well… my French is now passable at best but my love for puns and France is everlasting. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nostalgia!
    My mother was a French Teacher, and growing up we had a lot of of the Asterix&Obelix books in both French and English … the idea being that having the same book in two languages would help my brothers and I learn French.
    Well… my French is now passable at best but my love for puns and France is everlasting. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely loved the Asterix books when I was young. Your figures are wonderful and your story brought joy to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the positive comments everyone, it is quite encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Geoff:
    Thank you for your memory, it was charming and encourages me to be that kind of old person in a day not far away! Like you I grew up on Asterix and have a deep love for the books - and for your minis!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely bit of old skool kool with these figs 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely - takes me back to the old Salute shows of the 80s and the Old Guard and their Asterix games

    ReplyDelete