Thursday 13 January 2022

From Nick: 20mm WW2 Soviet reinforcements (100 points)

Well, clearly I had hoped to have a little more to show for my efforts today, but alas I fell somewhat short of my self imposed goal. Anyway, I've got a few more figures finished for the 20mm Soviet force I started during last years challenge. By now it has grown somewhat in size and I keep adding to it.


In 28mm it's the Germans I keep returning back to whenever my painting mojo is at a low ebb, but in 20mm it obviously is the Soviets. The first few figures I painted for this force where done using the simple triad method, but by now I'm using as many layers as I'd use on a 28mm figure. There's just so much detail packed into these small fellas.


First off the starting block today is a DShK 12,7mm HMG with five crew. The DShK, it's gunner and the loader are from SHQ Miniatures while the other three figures are AB Figures. I'm not particularly fond of the SHQ castings, but once painted they fit reasonably well with AB.


Next we have a 76mm M1927 regimental gun by Zvezda crewed by AB miniatures again. Zvezda make nice and cheap kits in 20mm and while the figures fit quite well with AB I prefer the latter and if it's just for the later uniforms as worn by AB.

No, the rear left figure isn't prone, it's crawling ;-)


This is followed by a RM-38 50mm mortar. Again this is a SHQ casting, as is the loader. As before I opted to replace the other figure as they're so much nicer.



Also on offer today is a ROKS-3 flamethrower team. A nasty piece of equipment you shouldn't leave home without.



And last there is a tank hunter team armed with liberated Panzerfäuste. Not really suited for Kursk but quite appropriate for Operation Bagration in 1944.



As for points it's:
14x 20mm figures (Upright/ Kneeling) = 56 points
5x 20mm figures (prone) = 20 points
3x 20mm artillery piece / crew served weapon = 24 points
Total: 100 points

Gorgeous work on these Soviets, Nick. I always like a flamethrower team. I thought they were 28mm, and can see how much attention you lavish on them. I know so many of us do the same period in multiple scales, but 20 and 28mm? Carry on, sir.

Barks

17 comments:

  1. Fab painting as always, Nick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding shading and highlighting as per usual, the benefit of viewing on a tablet is that I can zoom in to try to see how you’ve worked your magic :) That gun carriage is particularly well done, big slabs of metal are tough to get looking even halfway decent and you’ve smashed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work Nick as usual. They look absolutely great, they look bigger than 20mm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Nick these are lovely, I really do like how they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful stuff Nick. Your projects always get my fingers itching for WW2 projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always first class work Nick, well done. And one can never have enough WW2 kit, can one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look fantastic Nick! I'm looking forward to when we start our Russia campaigns using these lovely figures.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are fabulous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi. I k:
    I’m just stunned at how much detail and colour you’ve put into these relatively small scale figures, I was sure they were 28s when I first saw the photos. A very strong entry, bravo to you air.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Excellent looking figures Nick, really nice job on these 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing detail on these figures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That painting is just superb, it would be hard to find better and the basing is superb

    ReplyDelete
  13. The paintjobs are just amazing! Nice vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb work Nick. I quite like the prone tank hunter teams.

    ReplyDelete