Wednesday 16 February 2022

From SidneyR: Paris Nightwatch 1622 (Caprica) (140 points)


Owing to various work-and-life-related 'bumps in the road', this sadly is only my second post of the Challenge.  But I've tried to assemble a fairly disparate collection of figures as some form of ambushing party, all of which are inspired by the ambush-y treachery of the planet of Caprica.


First of all, though, I need to get there.  Enter (stage left) a swashbuckling lady with a fancy  sword, accompanying (or being pestered by) a dubious night-stalker of the Paris alleyways.  

She's a really nice and versatile swashbuckling female figure from Brigade Games, in 28mm.  The male figure is from Midlam Miniatures in the UK, also in 28mm.  I had fun painting his skin in a unhealthy pallor, based on a purple base coat.  Plenty of opportunities arise with a figure like this in a game - Has he been over-doing the mercury powder?  Or is there a hint of plague about Monsieur Descartes?  Or... maybe he's just a cultist of Slaanesh...




Next, there are some more 28mm figures from my forces for “...with Flashing Blades”, a set of rules set in the historical Paris of 1622, which is very much inspired by Dumas’ novels of “The Three Musketeers”. During the course of last summer and autumn I painted forces for the Musketeers themselves and the Cardinal’s Guards. 

So what was left for the ‘Paris Collection’ (... see what I did there!...) was this group of figures which I have painted for use as the Paris Nightwatch.



There are ten figures for the Nightwatch in various stages of patrolling, guarding, commanding, directing and promenading - all with a suitably martial air (regardless of their actual ability). I tried to collect the figures as a group which would fit together well and could form a small detachment to prevent law-breaking, fisticuffs and general mayhem breaking out in the fair city of Paris.




The figures are collected from various ranges, mainly from Wargames Foundry’s ECW range which fit together perfectly, size-wise, with the Brigade Games musketeers and Cardinal's Guard. I converted some of the figures, adding green-stuff feather, and lace - but nothing too dramatic.  The fashionable Dalmatian is a hound produced by Simon Chick, which he kindly sent to me after the Salute show in 2018.  Of course, this shamelessly plays to our dear Snow-Lord’s love of dogs, but also reflects the seventeenth century fashion for Dalmatians in 1622 Paris (true...fact-checked!!...).


As for painting, I have again left the bases as plain as possible to allow the figures to be used in any environment, urban or rural. I painted the colours of the figures in muted tones - trying to distinguish the Nightwatch from the red of the Cardinal’s Guard and the blue of the Musketeers. I thought browns and greys would make good Nightwatch colours, and also added some green which might look suitably faded and worn on the table.




I also painted up a collection of ECW 'doctors' which can serve as medical practitioners in our games.  I have no idea if these chaps have any medical training, but that musket ball is in the patient's leg....somewhere.  Maybe one more poke around with the chirurgeon's knife will find it!

I added a head-swap for the 'helping' figure, and added some Green-Stuff feathers to his hat (the head being from Bicorne Miniatures).


I added a few small "terrain" bases as well.  I needed some for a game, but I wonder if they really qualify as Challenge XII-worthy "terrain" according to our scoring system?  There's a Hovels barrel with a cockerel (Parisian, of course), some hens and some bottles of Medoc in various stages of consumption.  And there's some scratch-built hay-piles and/or dung-heaps for Characters and citizens to jump, fall and slip into.  

And, because I'm British, and our culture celebrates the hilarity of people treading in horse poo, I made up some small piles of horse manure to add to the table as a "random event".  No sniggering at the back, please, ladies and gentlemen.

So, with the points:

20 for Caprica, and 20 for the female swashbuckler to get me there = 40 points
15 x 28mm figures = 75 points
One Dalmatian = 2 points (not 101 points, obviously)
Bits of scratch-built terrain, including fluffy chickens, noisy cockerel, bottles and a barrel = 20 points all-in?

Which, with a slight squint at the terrain point-age, would give the entry a total = 137 points





********
Great to have the opportunity to enjoy more of your outstanding brushwork Sidney! All of this is amazingly well done, as we have come to expect from you, and the lovely figures are accompanied by entertaining text and explanations. 
 
There are a lot great figures here, but my favourite has to be the purple-tinged fellow, with unhealthy intentions to likely match an unhealthy internal condition...much as I can see him causing problems in Paris, your mention of Slaanesh makes me nostalgic for the lost "Old World" of Warhammer Fantasy Battle (even though I know that is not the intent of this lot overall)...and he looks like he would fit right in that setting too. Great work. 

It is irritating when one-to-one scale gets in the way of the work we wish to do on the more important scales. My dogs always help me keep things in perspective, and so even though you were pandering to the Snow Lord (wisely), the effect of including the dog (fact-checked!) on me is inspiring such as to force me to include a few extra bonus points, and round things up to 140 points. Cheers.

GregB

28 comments:

  1. Top-notch work as ever, Sidney! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous work as ever Sidney - love the hound especially :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul... I inspected one of my friends' Dalmatians to get the spots right ;)

      Delete
  3. Hey there Adam
    It’s good to have you back on the blog. I think we’ve all missed your beautiful minis.
    However, I believe this is first time that poo has been entered in the challenge?

    😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And.... scratch-built poo to boot, Sarah....! None of Curt's resin-printed varieties... !!

      Delete
  4. Great work Sidney, great to see your work again. Love the purple faced lad, the in progress shot looks like the purple muppet Grover used to bother. Also glad to see chickens return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Very good to be back. Sorry for my absence for much of this Challenge so far. The chickens fit in perfectly to Paris 1622, as they did in Laarden in 1688. The purple-hued noble was a joy to paint. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Having spent a lot of time on my Uncle’s ranch when I was young, stepping in a pile of horse manure is nothing to snigger at ;) it is, however, hilarious if someone else does! Terrific figures. Your brushwork is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha!! Endlessly funny when a character steps into the manure. Always raises a laugh during a game... As you say, always funny when its someone else :))

      Delete
  6. Fantastic stuff. Best poo ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not only are those figures painted in your usual high quality, the scatter terrain must be some of the best seen on these pages for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sander! I laboured a long time on the improvised haystacks and poo, I can confirm!! The dry-brushing I had to try.... :)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful output, Sydney! You put great effort on the minis and terrain, creating small stories everywhere. Very imaginative and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Teemu. It's all about creating narratives with the characters in my games, so your kind words mean a great deal to me. Thank you, Sir!!

      Delete
  9. Wonderful stuff, I very much admire your ability to keep focussed on one project and bring it to life so marvellously.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous figures and write up as always!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always a pleasure to see your work, Sidney, though watching that "surgeon" at work made me reach for the gin bottle just to dull the vicarious pain. Extra marks for the chickens.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete