Sunday 27 February 2022

From SimonG: Jewish Mounted and Archers in 28mm for Arrakis (90 points)

"Dune, Arrakis, a desert planet" ... an apposite description for first century Judea and we are back with my ongoing Jewish Revolt project with some support for my larger warband -- archers and a smattering of mounted soldiers.





The archers are a mixture of Crusader and Gripping Beast, and the mounted are Crusader. Head swaps and some cloaks are from Anvil then I added bow strings and arrows, strings for tzitzit plus the cloak details such as the flow onto the horse for the mounted figure which were modelled with Milliput.







Stringing bows is one of those modelling activities that gives me the most pleasure. It's almost like problem solving to work out where to take the thread -- It's pretty annoying how impractical and inconsistent designers are in their sculpting. For example I'm not sure that one in ten figures displays any consistency between the length of the draw at full tension and the length of the arrows in the archers quiver -- the former is always so much longer! And don't get me started on resting the arrow inside or outside the bow at the grip!

I really liked the thread of the bow-string on this one

Unfortunately no easy way to thread the string here,
doing two lengths and joining tends to make a mess

LHS is an example of two strings, hand ends up as a blob!


I also discovered that doing resin head swaps on metal figures is a lot harder than on plastics -- there are some quite suspicious (lets say exceptionally hirsute) neck lines among this lot. I will say however that there’s a pleasing lack of fiddly tack on the horses which made painting them a breeze!


Suspiciously hairy chest on this one



Anyway fiddling with thread and necks besides these came out well -- although having tried to make sandals out of brass wire and milliput I'll say that once was enough (the archer with the cloak)



This little group should add another 80 points to my total (six figures at 5 each plus three mounted at 10 and the 20 point bonus for our dodging the worms on Arrakis)






Next up a superhero -- although a real person this time plucked from history and symbolising resistance to imperial might (read into that what you want in light of current events)


___________________________

I always enjoy seeing updates to this project, Simon. It's such a unique and colourful period, easily capturing the imagination. I particularly admire all the extra effort you've taken in customizing these figures in order to make them your own (especially the bowstrings and head swaps). Definitely worth a few bonus points to your total, I think.  Lovely work Simon!

- Curt


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, always fun to work on the folks with bows and arrows 😀

      Delete
  2. I really like the look of these with the addition of the bow strings! I can’t imagine the frustration at times, but the end result is quite outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha, like threading a needle 🪡 you get in the grove - just make sure to use synthetic thread as cotton and super glue is a 🔥 hazard!

      Delete
  3. Well done Simon. Really enjoying this project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Simon - I admire your painting but also your patience in stringing those bows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Kerry, it's really much easier than it seems and I'd encourage anyone to try it!

      Delete
  5. Nice to see some progress on this colourful and characteristic force!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, the more I dig into the period the more interesting it gets (although that seems to be true of everything I start reading about)

      Delete
  6. Those realistic earth tones are awesome Simon well chosen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It’s one of those times when it really pays to tone things down and dusty them up a bit

      Delete