Sunday 27 February 2022

Men in Tights - From Kerry T ( 250 points & 1 maybe 2 Squirrels)

Robin Hood, Robin Hood,riding through the glen
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, with his band of men
Feared by the bad, loved by the good....
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood











Morning, Afternoon & Evening all

This time P is for Personality

Robin & a few of his merry men and of course maid Marion

As usual I just about bit off more than I could chew again this week and am hurriedly putting the finishing touches to this my 9th entry, having completed the flocking a few minutes ago just as bedtime approaches here on Sunday evening in NZ

This time I've made a return to Footsore Miniatures Barons War range, a lovely set of figures sculpted by Paul Hicks

Choosing a personality is a difficult choice as there are so many wonderful options available from a myriad of manufacturers. My initial thought had been to paint some ECW leaders but this would only have meant completing a few figures and not making much of an inroad into the leadpile. In the end the prospect of painting a larger number of figures told and I decided to get some of my Barons War figures completed. 

Even then there were a number of other personality figures that I could have chosen from but unfortunately I'd already made a start on two of my favorites in the range - Llewelyn ap Gruffydd, Prince of Wales and  William Marshall before the challenge had started.

Another possible choice was Phillip Marc Sherriff of Nottingham but who'd want a baddie eh?    

These are from the figures listed as outlaws and include a few extras like gamekeeper and Poacher

The not so hairy one is Friar Tuck, with Little John to his right

This drab lot are from the peasant levy range

As is usual with my approach I plunged into the project without too much careful planning and consequently need more basic troops like spearmen, crossbowmen and bowmen (the ones I have are already painted).
Consequently the Sheriff doesn't have any of his own baddies and rogues.

As a result some of the Foot Sergeants I have were hurriedly painted and used in the scene above though these are of course in the liveries of Llewelyn ap Grufydd and William Marshal, being intended for use with some of my other retinues. These men, being mainly decent upstanding Welshmen would, I'm sure never be seen dead in the service of such a rogue as the Sheriff of Nottingham

Shield transfers courtesy of Citadel Six Custom Design Range


So adding things up I have
1 Mounted figure at 10 points
A cart which I'll count as an artillery piece @10 points
46 foot figures @ 5 points
(There are 52 figures in total but I've not counted 6 figures and the 2 carthorses as these were started pre-challenge)

I think this gives me 250 points and at least 1 squirrel possibly 2 (1 for the outlaws and 1 for the sergeants?)
 
Its just as well that I didn't attempt the 14 villagers that I thought I could manage as well! or I'd never have finished)

And so with that its goodnight all

__________________________________________

More lovely work from you, Kerry! Really, who doesn't love Robin Hood? What a wonderful band of rogues and scoundrels you're treating us to here. While the character figures are magnificent (maid Marion and Little John are particularly brilliant), I do love all the foot sergeants in their red and yellow livery - very sharp those.

Smashing stuff, Kerry!

- Curt

14 comments:

  1. Oh that’s ace. Mrs D …is from Nottingham .. and her parents thought Marion would be a good name .. what larks we have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dave, stayed at Nottingham a few years ago when I come over for Partizan - thought it was a nice place

      Delete
  2. Great lot! So many wonderful things to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Natasha, I wanted it to be busy but I failed to get the additional figures finished

      Delete
  3. Great post, love the action shots. The sergeants livery is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, all down to shield transfers!

      Delete
  4. Nice looking insurgents, you're doing a cracking job of advertizing Footsore's minis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Stuart, anything sculpted by Paul Hicks advertises itself I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work Kerry, the red and yellow is really striking, especially against the more muted "good guys".

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much loveliness! The figures are top notch but the scenics make them really shine! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great stuff, I do want to do some Robin Hood gaming.

    ReplyDelete